Question for the pickup guru's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the pickup guru's

Ok so I felt inspired to try to make soome old dead pups work. So i took a Dimarzio PAF Pro, that had one bad coil. Disassembled the pup. Seperated the wires connecting the 2 coils together. And used the good coil. I took an old Washburn pup, that measured about 11.98 on the DC resistance. It was in the neck of an ol d washburn v i had back in the late 80's. So i combined the coils on the dimarzio baseplate. With the Alnico 5 magnet of the PAF Pro and conected the wires both to each coil and to the four conductor lead wire. And it worked. I tossed it into the JRS2 cus it was there. And it works and sounds really warm and full. Plenty of crunch and enough gain for most without being over the top.
    Ok so now the problem. It sounds a bit restricted, or muffled, and has what seems to be a pretty flat treble response. Should i swap out magnets, or change the washburn coil for something with a bit less output? Try differant wireing scheme for the 4 conductor and see if it brightens up? I'm open to suggestions. Keep in mind the rest of the pup sounds great. Just needs to open up a bit and get some high end.

Any ideas (legal and morally safe) will be considered and possabley tried.
    No contest. Im not Fett. im just lookin for the advice of those who may have done this kind of thing before and may have an idea or two.
    thanks
    Gil

Ummm, maybe try adjusting your EQ?

Obviously it's not going to sound like your other pickups, so tonal tweaking via your amp's knobs will be required, or you can keep it set like it is and live with the pickup having a different tone.

How's it sound when split?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks Newc. I didnt wire it for split yet. I may still mess with the wiring options and see what happens. I tried adjusting the eq on my amp, but it doesnt have enough movment in the knob to get the highs that are lacking. lol Im using my rockman xp100 currently. It has three stages of eq, but i still cant get enough treble bite or attack. but the rest of the pup sounds great.
      Gil

Comment

Update on the pup. I took it apart to pull the magnet out. But it was epoxied to the baseplate. So i left it. I found 2 metal shims that fit right against the magnet perfectly. So i mustve pulled them off when and set them aside and forgot where they were from when i did the moding to the pup. It now has the bite and high end im lookin for with a nice fat warm tone, and it's strat like clean and no hum. i may take it to work to check it out. To make sure. So if my theory is correct. those shims created a better magnetic field with the poles cust they are closer and even touching the pole pieces under the coils.
        Gil

Comment

Working...
        X