X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SD pups, but confused?!??!?

Hey gang!
    I just scored these locally for $100;

The seller said he removed these from an Epi as a set. The thing that confuses me is that one says "B" and the other says "N."
    Yes. I know that stands for "bridge" and "neck," but they both say SH-6.

You guys already know that they're Seymour Duncan Distortion models, but are they both the same?

I bought these to put in my Kramer F2000, but if they're both the same, then I could conceivably stick one each in the bridge position on the Kramer and another axe, yes?
    G.

They are not the same. The SH-6N will be weaker than the SH-6B. Neck pickups are designed to be weaker because the the string vibrates with way more amplitude at the neck position than it does closer to the bridge. Here are the specs:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/34

Note the difference in DC resistance & resonant peak. They'll balance well if you put them in the same guitar in their normal positions. Each will sound different if you put them in the bridge position on different guitars.
    Last edited by dg; 07-09-2008, 07:49 PM.

Comment

So what would the SH-6N be comparable to?
      It still would be suitable for a bridge position though, don't you think?
      G.

Comment

You could compare specs here and look for something with similar numbers, but the only way to tell if you'll like it as a bridge pickup is to install it & try it, imo.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/34

I've used bridge pickups in the neck position before. I have a Pearly Gates bridge pickup in my 750XL, and it matches up great with a Distortion in the bridge. I haven't ever used a neck pickup in the bridge position, but that Distortion may be a good one to try, since it has pretty high output.

Comment

You

You can use the neck in the bridge spot. I've heard that the Evo neck in the bridge sounds very grindy and thick...and I'm currently using the Black Out neck in the bridge of my Dinky Pro...love it!! Conversally...I'm using a double Full Shred bridge set-up in my other Jackson.

Bottom line...use what works in your rig...

Comment

I've used a Hot Rails neck in the bridge and loved it. More beef than the bridge model.

Same might be true of the Distortion neck in the bridge. Never had one, so I dunno.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

dime used a distortion neck pup in the bridge spot on one of his deans
              If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Working...
              X