Which EMG's and battery case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which EMG's and battery case?

I'm overdue an upgrade to an EMG's. These SD's in my WR1 are just too muddy and lack drive. I've decided to get an 81/85 set for the moment. I like the 81 in the bridge but am not sure what to but in the neck position.

I know the 81/85 ZW set comes with both short and long shaft pots, but who are the pots made by?

I don't know what to use as a case or cover for the 9v battery to stop it grounding any of the pots. I couldn't find anything, but am hoping someone here will know how to make one from polyfoam (sp?) that you can cut from blocks that you find in some rackmount boxes.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

You can cut a piece of the packing foam that the pups come in out of the box. Just cut to shape/size, wrap around the battery, and secure with a piece of tape. This actually comes from the EMG instructions.
    The Guitars:
    Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
    The Amps:
    Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

The EMGs do indeed come with foam in the box. You can also just wrap the battery in electrical tape. As far as who the pots are made by, I always just assumed EMG.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I heard CTS pots were supposed to be top notch, I'm not sure about EMG. Whether I can get hold of 25k CTS pots is another matter. Ebay or Allparts. If neither EMG or CTS are any better than each other, then that's better for me time and cost wise.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Just go with the emg pots you'll be fine. My advice though is to go with the 18v system instead of 9v.

Comment

Should be getting a price on monday. ballpark figure for the 81/85 set is £179, though he's gonna se if he can do a deal since I want the same shop to do the fitting and setup.

Does anyone have a photo showing where they stuffed the battery inside the cavity? Bear in mind this'll be going inside a WR1.
            Last edited by wilkinsi; 07-05-2008, 12:21 PM.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Blackouts!
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                Blackouts!
                What are these?
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                  I heard CTS pots were supposed to be top notch, I'm not sure about EMG. Whether I can get hold of 25k CTS pots is another matter. Ebay or Allparts. If neither EMG or CTS are any better than each other, then that's better for me time and cost wise.
                  I've never had a problem with EMG's pots. They actually seem more responsive to me (especially the tone controls) than passive pots.

Comment

Blackouts are nowhere near as good as EMG's IMO.

Comment

How many mm's thick does the battery wrap have to be?
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

^can't help you with that, but I will suggest the dual 81 combo Many here like the 85 in the bridge but it lacks clarity to my ears, too much low end. The 81 in neck position is great too, very alive..
                        "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

if you need more drive than the stock duncan invader in your WR1 then EMG's aren't strong enough the output of the 81 is very slightly more than the invader.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                            How many mm's thick does the battery wrap have to be?
                            Doesn't matter. Just one thin layer of cover so it doesn't touch anything will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                            X