New Amp Recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp Recomendations

I'm looking for a new tube head - recommend something cool after I tell you what I already have:

Vetta 2 and Flextone 2 heads - both great - I use them and aren't getting rid of them
    Randall RM100 - was going to get rid of, but will keep it around for a while
    Laney Pro Tube 50 Watt - going to get rid of since it's a 1 trick pony

So - what should I get. I like clean to high gain. Would like 3 channels to 4 channels. Would like a head rather than combo and would like to stay under a grand - used not an issue.

Lay it on as tomorrow is July 4th with possible sales coming around.

Carvin V3.

Comment

JSX fits the bill

Comment

If you don't mind used and you want a lot of tonal flexibility, an Rivera M/S would be worth checking out. It is, on the surface, a 2-channel amp but with the various footswitchable boosts, you end up with more "channels" than as apparent at first.
        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

+2 i have played M/S amps since 1990 and have NEVER replaced them as my live amp of choice. i have had some killers too....SLO, MKIV, JCM800 2204....NONE of those could out do my riveras....

Last edited by markD; 07-04-2008, 10:50 AM.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Soldano SLO-100 (with options). Basically, 2 channels though. The new H & K Triamp Mk II sounds interesting at 3 channels.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Jsx
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Doesn't sound like you need another amp if you are keeping the Randall RM100 That amp is 3 channels and does clean to high gain real well, its under $1K used with modules. I don't think there is anything out right now that can compete with it in that price range. Play the RM100 and spend the $1K you had planned on a new USA Charvel instead
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

maybe get some new modules for the randall...

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                    Soldano SLO-100 (with options). Basically, 2 channels though. The new H & K Triamp Mk II sounds interesting at 3 channels.
                    +1 Get a S O L D A N O -decatone has 3 channels. but SLO100 is my dream come true.

Comment

Pete, try and pick up a used Mark IV. You will have fun with all the tonal possibilities of the amp. Also.. since you know a ton about amps you will really appreciate it.
                      It would be a nice amp for your collection too and actually a solid investment.

Comment

he said keep it under a $1000 - if you guys know where I can get an SLO for that price please do tell.

Honestly, you really aren't going to find many amps under $1000 that are as good as your Randall.

John's used Mark IV suggestion is good. The V3 is good too.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Used JSX.

Comment

+1 on the JSX
                            The Guitars:
                            Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                            The Amps:
                            Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

-1 on the JSX
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X