Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reason I SHOULDN'T buy an Orange Rocker 30 head??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reason I SHOULDN'T buy an Orange Rocker 30 head??

I'm mainly into kind of a classic rock/hard rock sound (not the brutal stuff), and demo'd one for about a 1/2 hour. I really liked the sound with just a guitar and chord going into it. Now it has NO bells and whistles whatsoever, but I don't know that I really need much. The only effect I'd like is delay, but there's no loop on this machine either. I *could* put the pedal in front of the amp I'm told... Never tried that before with a delay.

My current setup - Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (which would have to go), which I pretty much run using the Crunch models (Plexis) and I run an SD-1 in front of that to goose it. Beyond that, just some delay for "space". I play a pair of Jim Root Telecasters, and a couple home-built strats with JB's. I also have an Orange 212 that I plug the SV into when I get the urge...

Any thoughts here?

You know how I think.

But trust your ears man. The answer is in there.
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

buy it and play around with it. You'd have no problem selling it over at HCF.
      07 Ibanez J Custom RG8470RS, 92 Ibanez RG770EG, 91 Ibanez RG565EG, 90 Ibanez RG550CM, 90 Jackson USA Fusion, 89 BCRich Assassin, 85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS440RV, 05 Takamine AN-10

Furman PL-8 Series II, ADA 3TM MP-1 Ultra+, Axe-FX Ultra, rack tray (Axess Elec. BS-2, DOD FX90), Roland EV-5, Dunlop 535Q18v, VHT 2/50/2, Ground Control Pro, X2 Digital XDS95 W'less, (2) Bogner Cubes

Comment

FAAAAAAKKKKK!!!

I stopped at a local shop when I went to grab a bite to eat. They had a Mesa F-100 combo an a Rocket 44, so like an idiot, I tried both out. They made me a deal on the F-100 I couldn't refuse, so I'll probably go in and pick it up tomorrow after I sleep on it.

I really want the Orange, but the Mesa has alot more of what I think I would need to "get by".

Choices, choices...
        Last edited by chrisolson; 07-03-2008, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Being unfamiliar with both amps myself, what exactly is it that the F-100 has that you need to "get by" that the orange doesnt?

From what I've seen, (mind you that Im not an expert), Orange amps have great resale value, so if you were to get it you could always sell it later on if you find that your needs change. Or you could always buy them both and return the one you dont like, which is what I tend to do when Im torn.

-Steve
          Guitars:
          '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
          '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
          '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
          Amp:
          VOX AD30VT

Comment

Steve -

The Mesa has a lot more tonal versatility (less of a one-trick pony), and a loop, as well as being foot-switchable. It's also an open-back combo, which I have been preferring lately, and since I have a closed cab already, I can plug into that when I want. The HCF folks seem to think I'd hate sticking a delay in front of it anyway, I I think I'd probably agree.

If I trade my gear in on the Mesa and then bought the Orange down the line, the net difference would end up being only about $300... The Mesa will certainly have better trade/sale value than the Line 6 to be sure if I end up wanting to "move it on".

I may still get the Orange, and maybe get a loop mod done, but I think I'm going to wait on the big cash expenditures until after we get our house refinancing done.

Comment

Do you ever play out? If not, an F-100 will be damn loud for home use! Even the F-30 combo I used to have got pretty loud with the volume only on 1.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you are getting a great deal, go for it. But like Joe said, 100 watts is quite a bit for home use. Unless you have a powerbrake or something like that.
                I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I don't play out, but it does have a 60/100 switch, so that cuts it back a bit, but yeah LOUD AS FAKK!!! No biggie though. I play pretty loud at home - my wife doesn't mind.

Let me put it like this -- I'll be paying $225 for the Mesa with the L6 trade. I cannot trade the L6 for the Orange, and if I sell it, they seem to go used between $500-600, so I have $500-600 to come up with. And that's only IF the L6 sells, and I'll only do it locally, cuz the sucker weighs a ton.

Comment

Fuck you, Toejam.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                      I *could* put the pedal in front of the amp I'm told... Never tried that before with a delay.
                      Dont do that. It will sound like ASS. A delay will sound good only after a distortion pedal into a clean amp or in the fx-loop of a distorted amp. You should not put a delay before the preamp's distortion.
                      Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                        Dont do that. It will sound like ASS. A delay will sound good only after a distortion pedal into a clean amp or in the fx-loop of a distorted amp. You should not put a delay before the preamp's distortion.

No worries - the Mesa F-100 I'm picking up today has a loop. I'm going to wait on the Orange.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                          Fuck you, Toejam.

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            LOL
                            I'm sure that was appreciated as only YOU can!

Comment

Of course! Good luck with the amp.

Comment

Working...
                              X