Bad ground(wiring humbucker)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad ground(wiring humbucker)

I just wired a Dimarzio in my Model 2 and the hum is horrible. I'm guessing improper ground. This is how its wired, The yellow wire in the diagram is intended to be white.

Can I ground the jack, pickup and pot to the top of the pot as pictured? Thanks
    Rick

Yup.

Also run one to the trem claw.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Which wire to the trem claw?

Comment

Any wire - just to have a ground connection ! Maybe you should put a screw into the body and ground that as well !
        uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Originally posted by Franx View Post
          Any wire - just to have a ground connection ! Maybe you should put a screw into the body and ground that as well !
          Serious?

Comment

Run a dedicated ground from the spring claw to the back of the volume pot.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

WRT to the screw in the body, that's to ground the cavity shielding paint. The shield only works if it's grounded. Also, if there's no shielding to screw into, the screw does you no good. All of my Model Series guitars have had it in the electronics cavity & under the pickups, but I haven't had a Model 2.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                Run a dedicated ground from the spring claw to the back of the volume pot.
                Did that and still having a ground issue. Mind you my solders look like bird shit and are super messy. The cavity of the guitar has no shielding, just painted blue like the body.

Comment

Looks like you wired everything correctly. Does the hum get quieter when you rest your hand on the bridge?
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.death View Post
                    Mind you my solders look like bird shit and are super messy.
                    I think you have the biggest problem right there.

Comment

Well I redid everything. Here what it looks like.

Still it buzzes, keep in mind the guitar is not strung up nor is the trem installed.

Comment

Can I use tin foil and spray adhesive for the cavity so I have something to ground the pot to. I tried a wood screw in the side of the cavity and connected it to the pot. still buzzing.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Disconnect the red wire and see if it still buzzes. If it does, then you need to shield the cavity (yes, tin foil and spray glue should work).

If it doesn't buzz after disconnecting the red wire, then your solder joints may need to be redone, or you've got a bad pot.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I shieded the cavity and still I get the buzzing. I'm gonna try and disconect the red wire and see what happens

Comment

Add the trem and strings... Once you touch the strings you become the ground

Comment

Working...
                              X