Tell me about the JCM800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about the JCM800

I still haven't bought another amp, and I've made my mind up a bunch of times, and then changed it again. It's quite a few years ago since I last used an 800, and I don't remember what model it was.

What are the differences between models? Which ones have effects loops etc..?

I might be interested in a 50 watt, because I can turn it up louder.

Educate me!
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

The most common models are the 2203 (100W) and the 2204 (50W)

I have the oddball 2210 which is a 100W split channel foot switchable and effects loop. The 50W version is the 2205 (I believe Tom Morello uses this one?)

I just plug into the lead channel and dime the gain and the channel volume and it sounds great. Mine was the one that was owned by a few members here before I picked it up a few years ago. It's in rough shape cosmetically, but i could give a crap LOL.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I owned an '82 2203 (100watt) a few years ago. Bought it on the Bay. It was a "vertical input" 800. I believe that '84 was the last year for the vertical input heads. I think '83 is when they changed from 6 filter capacitors to 5. Many claim that the amp sounded fizzy with fewer caps. So the '82 and older are considered more desirable. Anyone else remember that? I might be off on a couple of things, but the '82 had 6 caps.

The amp had a good sound for blues and some rock, but it didn't have the gain for heavier stuff IMHO. Maybe I use gain as a crutch, but it didn't sustain well or sound aggressive enough. But it was one loud ass son-of-a-bitch!!!

Marshall has reissued the JCM800, and I think you can get it with an effects loop now. Anyone confirm?

I've been playing through an Engl Savage 120 for several years now. Pretty damn versatile amp IMO!

There's my two cents...Good Luck.

Comment

i believe the 2210 and 2205 have diode clipping in its gain circuitry, which gives it plenty of distortion when dimed....certainly more than enough for me, but YMMV.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

i had an '81 vertical input 50 watt 800 and it was the LOUDEST amp i have ever heard in my life. it was almost useless to me it was so loud. sounded awesome though.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
            i had an '81 vertical input 50 watt 800 and it was the LOUDEST amp i have ever heard in my life. it was almost useless to me it was so loud. sounded awesome though.
            Holy shit yes..I had a red half stack that made my teeth hurt.

My fave is the 2210..like george mention it doesn't require a stomp. I always went for a latter day Criss Oliva tone and that amp delivers that big time..as well as classic VH without the need for a stomp. I was talking with Chris Cafferty (Savatage) who adopted Criss Oliva's 2210 and that how much we all really liked that particulair head.

The 2203 is truly great..but you'll need a stomp to get ya in "heavier" territory. That's Zakk's Marshall of choice amoung countless others. Tone -wise they're like a much more full bodied JCM 900.

Personally, I prefer 100 wt because of the headroom. When I A/B my 2210 and 2205..same , tubes, guitar, cabs and volume levels. The 2210 clearly had a much better low end grind..just "ballsier" all around. They're very similar in tone and you'd prolly wouldn't really know the difference if the wern't side by side as I explained.

You really can't go wrong with any you choose to go with..and will only increase in value, especially if in nice shape.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I had an 86 2204 that was in excellent shape for 22 years old. I did the input stage mod to eliminate those annoying bright highs, added an effects loop and replaced the filter caps with "blues".

They say it lost vintage value. Eh, who cares, it improved my tone to where I wanted it to be.

Killer, killer amp and as mentioned ridiculously loud. I ran mine with an Ultra+ modded MP-1 and Axe-FX Ultra. I sold it and replaced it with a VHT 2/50/2 because I got tired of dragging a head around.
              07 Ibanez J Custom RG8470RS, 92 Ibanez RG770EG, 91 Ibanez RG565EG, 90 Ibanez RG550CM, 90 Jackson USA Fusion, 89 BCRich Assassin, 85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS440RV, 05 Takamine AN-10

Furman PL-8 Series II, ADA 3TM MP-1 Ultra+, Axe-FX Ultra, rack tray (Axess Elec. BS-2, DOD FX90), Roland EV-5, Dunlop 535Q18v, VHT 2/50/2, Ground Control Pro, X2 Digital XDS95 W'less, (2) Bogner Cubes

Comment

I'm not too concerned about the gain level, as I use an SD-1 in front anyway for that crunchy edge. It's not a big deal if I have to crank the gain on it a little. The important thing, is the effects loop.

I've also been looking at the JCM900s, especiallt the SLX model, which has a half power mode so you can run it at 50 or 100 watts.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

afaik, all the 900s have the half power switch. So 50s can run at 25w, and 100s run at 50. I leave my 4100 on low mode, or 50 watts.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

I had several 800's in both 50 and 100 watts. Very loud, very clear. The problem is that there isn't enough gain on tap and the really start sounding great at extreme arena volume levels.
                    Personally, I think the best all around "old school" Marshall head is the JCM900 50w Mark II Supre Reverb. Great clean, excellent gain, excellent effects loop, 2 channel and you can really turn it up.

Comment

Agreed. They're great amps, but to really extract the goodness in 'em, ya' gotta crank'em up to make the tubes scream for mercy!

My lil' 1x12 JCM 800 screams like a banshee. It lack's the bottom end as a full stack would have, but it sure is a loud lil' sucker.
                      G.

Comment

I've got the 20th Anniversary JCM 2210. It has the white tolex covering. I bought it new at Manny's in NY in 1982. I still have it. It's a great Marshall tone amp with good distortion when you want lower volumes instead of blistering loud Plexi's that need attenuation. One thing I noticed is that it isn't as loud as say a Plexi, 100 or 50 Watt, but you have very good control over your tone with the 2210.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                          I've also been looking at the JCM900s, especiallt the SLX model, which has a half power mode so you can run it at 50 or 100 watts.
                          I had a JCM900 50 watt Dual Reverb head, and it was...nice. Not great, but that was before I knew how to draw tone out of a good amp. In this case, a little boost to the front end would have done it.

The SL-X on the other hand, can get way outta hand quick, and I always found it to be a bit fizzy and harsh. I'm sure there's a mod that could smooth it out, but then you might as well use a 900 with a boost!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                            I had a JCM900 50 watt Dual Reverb head, and it was...nice. Not great, but that was before I knew how to draw tone out of a good amp. In this case, a little boost to the front end would have done it.

The SL-X on the other hand, can get way outta hand quick, and I always found it to be a bit fizzy and harsh. I'm sure there's a mod that could smooth it out, but then you might as well use a 900 with a boost!

I jammed on an SLX in the studio several times. Its a really good plug in and let it rip amp. Lots of gain, nice features and it absolutely sounds like a Marshall should sound. BTW... it really cut through the mix with no outboard pedals or effects needed.

Comment

I have a 4100 Dual Reverb, and have played an SLX, to my ear they're very different amps. TBH, I'm not very happy with the level of gain the 4100 has stock, but it has a very nice clean sound, and with a little input boost it's the feline's behind...
                              - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

Working...
                              X