Sagging Tremolo Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sagging Tremolo Syndrome

At least, that is what I call it! I noticed that my floyd equipped guitars always go out of tune after the first couple of songs in the set. I got so frustrated that I had to carry a non trem guitar as backup. The worst culprit was one that had no backplate installed. It occured to me that the heat from my body was warming the springs in the rear cavity causing them to relax (expand) a little, and the guitar would be almost a half a semitone out everytime. I put my screwdriver on top of the amp on Saturday night to try something. After two songs, sure enough, the bugger had dropped out of tune. So I quickly grabbed the screwdriver (looks of horror from my bandmates "What the f*ck is he up to now?") and gave both screws about a quarter turn. Bingo! Back in tune for the rest of the evening. Anyone else having this problem? I thought maybe it was worn springs, but it happens on my brand new DK1 also.
    http://www.trevor-jordan.com/

Amazing. Was the guitar tuning "sharp" after it cooled back down?

Comment

Are you starting out with new strings?

Comment

I never had any problems with a Floyded guitar going out of tune like that.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Let me tell you I have the same problem I ve tryed changing the springs with no results.
          I got so frustrated that I m near the point of blocking the trem !!
          My last option is changing the studs (pivot screws) I am waiting a couple to arrive.
          As soon as I get them I ll tell you if it solved it.

I know it may sound wierd to most, (never had happend before to me, in fact my other guitars stay in tune for weeks not even needing a fine tune) but is been like this (just as you described) from day one with a charvel 375 DLX.

Check to see if the tremolo is going back to the original (flat) position. Mine does but from time to time with a strech or something it doesn't go back to the same place.

Good luck and please tell me if you solve it !
          sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

Great, now I gotta take my guitars to the auto shop for a radiator!?! They're gonna gouge me!
            Who's gonna start placing air vents in theirs?

Seriously, the time I had tuning issues with a Floyd, I attributed it to the humidity, but the temp could have been a factor. By the end of the night, the trem was pitched downward (as in divebombed slightly) which damn well could be due to the springs in the back being more stretchy due to temperature.

I think Budman will need to start making ice-pack backplates.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

You guys do know you're supposed to stretch your strings before locking the nuts, and that locking nuts wear out, right?

What gauge strings are you using? Floyds are designed to work best with 9s, but 10s will give the locks trouble. Anything fatter will have more issues.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Implants?

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                  Let me tell you I have the same problem I ve tryed changing the springs with no results.
                  I got so frustrated that I m near the point of blocking the trem !!
                  My last option is changing the studs (pivot screws) I am waiting a couple to arrive.
                  As soon as I get them I ll tell you if it solved it.

I know it may sound wierd to most, (never had happend before to me, in fact my other guitars stay in tune for weeks not even needing a fine tune) but is been like this (just as you described) from day one with a charvel 375 DLX.

Check to see if the tremolo is going back to the original (flat) position. Mine does but from time to time with a strech or something it doesn't go back to the same place.

Good luck and please tell me if you solve it !
                  Before replacing the studs, take the trem off and see if the studs can move by just touching them with your finger. If they do, take them out, then take some PTFE plumber's tape and wrap it around the threads, put them back in... that'll stop any kind of movement in the studs. It tends to happen a bit on imports more for some reason.

Also, like Newc stated, make sure you stretch your strings very well before locking the nut down. Tune up to pitch, bend the hell out of the strings, pull them off the board, tune back up to pitch, repeat bending/stretching procedure until they don't go out of tune, then lock the nut.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Never in all my years with my Jackson's or before with a Kramer have I had any problems. Sometimes my guitar is in it's case for weeks and it might have one string slightly out of tune. How many springs do you use, what gauge are the strings & are you tuned to A 440. If you detune your guitar that might be the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Trev57 View Post
                      At least, that is what I call it! I noticed that my floyd equipped guitars always go out of tune after the first couple of songs in the set. I got so frustrated that I had to carry a non trem guitar as backup. The worst culprit was one that had no backplate installed. It occured to me that the heat from my body was warming the springs in the rear cavity causing them to relax (expand) a little, and the guitar would be almost a half a semitone out everytime. I put my screwdriver on top of the amp on Saturday night to try something. After two songs, sure enough, the bugger had dropped out of tune. So I quickly grabbed the screwdriver (looks of horror from my bandmates "What the f*ck is he up to now?") and gave both screws about a quarter turn. Bingo! Back in tune for the rest of the evening. Anyone else having this problem? I thought maybe it was worn springs, but it happens on my brand new DK1 also.
                      If the springs are new, they will go through a slight stretching period before they settle in.
                      It's quite possible it could also be from temperature changes. I remember someone here stating that when playing on stage, the heat from the lights had a little to do with their guitar going slightly out of tune.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sounds like a string stretching issue to me.
                        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I thought so up until he said tightening the spring screws put it right back in tune. I've never seen all the strings go out exactly the same due to not stretching them. That'd be like hitting the pick-six. You'd expect if the strings were stretching out as he played, they all would be off by a different amount & he'd still have to retune regardless of tightening the trem springs.

Comment

Well, if he's grabbing the screwdriver mid song and tweaking, he's not exactly turning the screws the same exact turns so I think he could get it relatively in tune by doing that. Not exact but good enough for live work.

EDIT: But if it was the springs heating up, woudn't the guitar go sharp when the springs cooled off like someone above mentioned?
                            Last edited by Bengal; 06-24-2008, 06:39 PM.
                            I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

It should. If he answers that one, we'll probably have our answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X