Is a inlay reposition possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a inlay reposition possible?

As ridiculous as this sounds to some... is it possible to take, say a Jackson that has upside shark fin inlays and get them redrilled/shaped to be right side up? Besides finding a luthier who would do it and going to my guitar tech and asking him directly (far drive) I just wanted the opinions and answers from my good friends on the internet! So IS this even possible? And what would you consider the costing usual?

Short answer, no, you cannot reposition them.
    You would have to replace the whole fretboard.

On a personal note, reverse sharkies look awesome.
    -Rick

Comment

They do some times. It is possible to replace inlays right? As I have the Jackson lmtd. Ed. RR24 with reverse inlays, but I want MOP inlays. Can't I Just buy those and have them put in.

Comment

Yes, you can replace existing inlays. Just make sure you have a pro do it.
        One wrong move could really mess up the board.
        -Rick

Comment

Of course. Would never dream of doing it myself. Have a professional luthier do it. HOPEFULLY most jackson inlays are the same size. I need to find a good cheap place or maybe on ebay where I can buy some MOP inlays to put on my existing Jackson RR24.

Comment

You'd have a ton of filler and it wouldn't look good at all. And depending on who does the work they might want to pull the frets so as to have a flat 'board to work from. It's likely that you'd be money ahead to just sell the guitar and buy another that's more to your liking.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

http://www.luthiersupply.com/SharkFinpage.html#SharkFin

Comment

Those gold inlays are awesome! They would look good on a RR with gold hardware and reverse sharkies.

Comment

I know you said you aren't doing it yourself, but this thread by DrDoug is a good look at the work involved on swapping from MOTO to MOP:
                  http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77709
                  EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Working...
                  X