Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez Joe Satriani Repair/Refin

Hi guys,
    Just wanted to share a really cool guitar that was sent in for repairs and a refin.

The owner got a real good deal on an Ibanez Joe Satriani Signature Model due to some minor damage done near the recess route.

After stripping the guitar, I began working on the repair.
    To do this, I first lifted the split section of wood, applied TiteBond and clamped it overnight.
    Then I used masking tape to form a mold for the missing piece and filled it with Marine Epoxy.
    This stuff works great for these types of repairs ... it's solid as a rock, doesn't shrink, and can be sanded.

After doing the repair, I did a mock-fit of the trem and discovered what I think is exactly how this damage happened ... the baseplate of the trem didn't fit the shape of the recess route. (?)
    It makes sense that when the bar was pressed down, the baseplate caught the lip of the recess route and caused that nasty split. At least that's what I think.

To avoid this from happening again, I then reshaped the trem route to match the shape of the baseplate.

Lesson learned: Always test fit your parts and peices PRIOR to finishing a guitar.
    Can you guys imagine how sick I would have been to find this out AFTER I had did all the work of refinishing it? Ugh!

The owner of this guitar sent me a picture of a cell phone as reference for the color he wanted to use.
    After several email exchanges, he decided on a HOK "Pearlescent Ultra Orange".
    (note: this color is a bitch to photograph)

I didn't play the guitar much when I first got it, but I spent alot more time with it while setting it up and let me tell ya ... this guitar smokes!

If you guys ever have a chance to play one of these guitars ... do it!
    You'll be amazed.
    Last edited by Model1VH2; 06-22-2008, 05:12 PM.

Awesome refin! Good catch on the the trem routing. That's something I probably wouldn't catch until after reassembly!
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Fucking hell, nice work. I take my hat off to you, sir.
      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Incredible!

Comment

Great job. And I love the new color.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
            Great job. And I love the new color.
            Prettiest "red" guitar I've ever seen.
            "POOP"

Comment

Very nice. That looks way better than the gray

Comment

Thanks guys.

The color is from House of Kolors.
                It's Pearl Ultra Orange.

The pearl is a real bitch to capture in photos.

Comment

Yeah my strat is a pearl purplish-blue but it just looks like plain dark blue in photos. I haven't figured out a way to make the pictures look even close to the way it looks in person.

Comment

Nice work! How much do you charge for a refin, just wondering? I have a body from slash at Mojobodies coming in in a month or two that needs a paintjob.

Comment

really nice work man! that colour is awesome
                      Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                      Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

wow that is a great job indeed!!!

What model was the guitar JS100 or JS1000 ?

PS: Let me be original, great job
                        sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

Phenomenal!

A+
                          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                          --floydkramer

Comment

Looks like a JS1000 that someone swapped the Edge or Edge-Pro out for another trem. Looks like a Lo-TRS. Not really sure why someone would do that.

Nice repair job.
                            I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                              Looks like a JS1000 that someone swapped the Edge or Edge-Pro out for another trem. Looks like a Lo-TRS. Not really sure why someone would do that.
                              Good eye! That's not the original trem, probably also why the owner got a good deal on the guitar. The JS trems are shimmed so the ADGB saddles are higher to match the radius of the JS neck. If the trem in there doesn't have the shims, the saddle radius won't match the fingerboard radius, so it might not play as good as it could.

Comment

Working...
                              X