Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tonal difference between Series/Parallel wiring and Full/Split wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonal difference between Series/Parallel wiring and Full/Split wiring?

Well, what's the tonal difference between a 4-conductor humbucker wired to a mini-toggle for Series and Parallel vs the same pickup wired for simple full and split?

Anyone have audio examples?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Well, AFAIK, a "full" humbucker is wired in series to begin with.

I believe parallel is just the two coils of the humbucker (like two single coils running together and hum-cancelling).

If you wanted to split a humbucker, then it's just one coil running by itself.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, that part I understand - I wire all my hums for splitting, but I was actually wanting to know the tonal characteristics between Series/Parallel.

Is Parallel like two singles at the same time? Not so much 2 or 4 of a Strat (phase reversed), but like bridge and neck singles at the same time?

I haven't wired one up for S/P in years, personally. Too much to do in a small space

I may try one when I get home from werk
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I don't see any advantage on wiring parallel. If you do you 'll probably get an output not as hot as with serial wiring, small tonal difference (if at all) and the hum cancelling will probably suffer a little too (probably it will be noisier)

I ve had a guitar on wich I could change from parallel/series and split Humb and the truth is that it didnt make much difference. But maybe was that one pickup
        sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

Hi
          Wiring in parallel does make a difference when using a 5-way in position 2 with a single.The impedance drops and you get a more even balance with the single almost like 3 singles in parallel!....helpful for hot humbuckers.Best phase result is a split hum with reverse wired middle if you want a strat sound.(this is how I wire my duncans's and Dimarzio's,if the middle is not reverse wound)

To answer the tone question. parallel is much more dynamic...closer to a single with more drive (higher inductance), and no hum.
          Last edited by satyr; 06-15-2008, 06:50 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Ah, I think I get it. So if I want a split-hum + middle single to get that Strat-Quack (position 2) then I'd set the humbucker for parallel if the middle is not reverse-wound, but series if it is reverse-wound?

What about H-H when both are split? Wiring one split hum to parallel with the other (also split) in series?
            Or does splitting both negate the series/parallel effect?

Hmmm. This would make an interesting Tech article with sound clips and wiring diagrams.

Comment

ALMOST!!
              Split the hum...or not
              Hardwire the middle pup "backwards"
              Position 2 and 4 will "QUACK"...1-3-5 will sound normal.
              Spacing really affects the sound, so you have to try it, make sure the active side of the split hum is against the bridge (easy except for some emg's with taps instead of splits)

this assumes the singles are both normal wound...if the mid is reverse wound...leave it.
              It just sounds STRATIER with the hum split or in parallel

My 750 has a 5 way (stock) and HH... pos 3 quacks, 2 and 4 are singles...
              5 sounds like a les paul, and pos.1 kicks ass.
              The wiring between pickups (without a superswitch or other mod) is always parallel anyway...
              I have some fancy diagrams...I'll try to find a good one for ya!
              sigpic

Comment

Nice

Comment

Hey again
                  Do you have a configuration in mind? Brand, type, stacked singles etc.
                  I have some neat ideas if you have a "super 5-way", or pushpulls..
                  I can probably label it with North South start end labels, if you're comfortable with that...or colours if I know the brand. let me know....Cheers.
                  These are some Duncan plans I use as a basis for the style we are discussing, you'll have to translate for other pups, but the basic idea is there...
                  Last edited by satyr; 06-16-2008, 05:59 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

if youve ever played a BCRich with all the switches thats what they do series parallel for each pickup & both together. parallel sounds more like a P-90. tapping has a more single coil sound than parallel. the output loss isnt as drastic parallel compared to tapped, but its still less than in series(full humbucker mode). & no using both pickups in parallel doesnt negate the effect, if the 2 pickups are wired out of phase it actually makes the parrallel effect even more drastic, think position 2 & 4 of a strat. parallel also bucks hum for the most part, it hums slightly but not as badly as a tapped humbucker. if your looking for a single coil sound go tapped, if your looking for an almost thicker single on steriods P90ish tone parallel.

Comment

Working...
                    X