Chopped trem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chopped trem?

Always wanted to chop a trem arm for my stratocaster, ala David Gilmour... I don't use the trem all that much as it is and always thought that perhaps if it were a bit shorter I might use it for vibrato once in a while....

Simple enough with the strat. Has anyone ever tried it with a floyd? Any thoughts?

Vass

Obviously, the shorter it is, the more pressure it will take to move the trem, so don't cut it too short.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

If you just want to use it for vibrato, why not just push on the bridge?

Comment

Should be a simple operation. If you want a switch tip on it, you'll have to have it threaded, or get a rubber push-on cap.

How short are you looking to cut it? Before the elbow just behind the original tip or after the elbow closer to the bridge? You might want to consider if you want the original bend there or if you'll need to re-bend it after the cut.

If it's a 2-point trem, it won't take all that much extra pressure to bend, though it will probably feel more like a Kahler, which I've always found easier to control for faking slide (used to play Zeppelin's "You Shook Me" on a Kahlered LP copy - sounded just like a bottle on the neck).
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Was thinking the same Newc. With the chopped trem I could also just let it sit a little more parallel to the body. Would def need to bend the bar up a little bit as well.

Not just vibrato, I guess. You could divebomb with it just fine. I just have a tendency to not use it as much simply because I don't like reaching for it when playing. I guess I just want it a little closer but a little more out of the way at the same time.

Vass

Comment

Working...
          X