Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dimarzio neck pick up

hi,
    i`m putting together a warmoth strat guitar with a mahogany body and, maple neck and ebony fingerboad.
    i will have a dimarzio breed bridge pick up and i`m wondering what would be a good match for a dimarzio neck single coil pick up (no middle pickup).
    i don`t want a too bassy sound, but still warm and with clarity.
    any recommendations?

thanks in advance

don't know how it would work in mohogany but i'd try the YJM.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Hum-cancelling or no? You want traditional single-coil tone or humbucker tone? You want the output relatively close to the Breed or much less for clean tones?

The YJM/HS-3 is probably a bad choice. The output is MUCH MUCH less than that of the Breed.

I would look at the Chopper, Air Norton S, or Pro Track depending on exactly what tone you want.

Comment

I've got a Chopper in the neck position of my alder Charvel and I love it. It's paired up with a Tone Zone in the bridge.

I tend to like a neck pickup with a decent amount of high end (more than a typical PAF) with less mids and even less bass. I find this gives me a smooth, bubbly sound with good clarity and definition.

You can also hear the single coil characteristics when you turn down the volume though it's a fat sounding single coil.

Comment

by the chopper eq specs, wouldn`t it be too bassy?
          i have a jackson sl-1 with a sd hot rails in the neck and i hate the tone, poor definition, too hot and too bassy, too much low mids.
          i don`t want anything like that.
          i was thinking something similar to a sd jazz, but single coil of course and from the dimarzio line.
          i love some of sd pick ups, i jast wanna try something different from dimarzio.

Comment

Originally posted by eiopago View Post
            by the chopper eq specs, wouldn`t it be too bassy?
            Not in an alder guitar with a maple board and locking trem. Once the bass and mids gets past 6 (on a Dimarzio) and the output gets too hot then things start to get muddy. I've got a couple of Ibanezes (maple boards, basswood bodies and hardtails) one with a PAF Joe and another with a Humbucker from Hell and neither of those sound muddy either, even with basswood.

Comment

You could go with something like a Fast Track 1, but I really wouldn't get anything weaker than that to compete with a Breed.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                You could go with something like a Fast Track 1, but I really wouldn't get anything weaker than that to compete with a Breed.
                +1

Comment

I've got a mutt with an SDS1 in the neck and it sounds awesome. Very "big" sounding while retaining that single coil bite and clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                    don't know how it would work in mohogany but i'd try the YJM.
                    Absolutely...YJM is a DP217 the DP 117 is just as good, (this is what Malmsteen used in the neck position, before DiMarzio re-released it with his name..YJM) lots on e_bay...I am using one on a strat with a Duncan Stack in the bridge spot...awesome...
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X