Stripped Strap Screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped Strap Screw

I have an import Alder git and one of the strap button screws is stripped.

Is this easy to fix or do I need to bring it to a repair shop?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

The head of the screw is stripped you mean? Or the screw hole?

Vass

Comment

If it's the screw hole, the easiest fix is to push in two or three toothpicks, dump in some wood glue, wait for it to set, and then screw back in the strap button. Or you could custom fit a dowel and redrill the hole.
      My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Sorry, the hole guys.
        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I will try the toothpick method.

I have some liquid nails - that should work.
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

NO!!! Don't use liquid nails... get some wood glue.
            -Rick

Comment

+1

Don't use that stuff! It'll harden in a clump in the hole, then you may split the body when you put the screw back in. Wood glue is the right thing to use. It's cheap & easy to find.

Comment

It won't hurt to use wood glue in conjunction with the toothpicks. However, I've always used a kitchen match stick without glue. Once you start inserting the screw, the expansion of the kitchen match will cause more than enough pressure to hold the screw in place without glue. Both ways work well, just offering an alternative method.
                "POOP"

Comment

If it's a Dinky/Strat-style, the screw was probably mounted on the tip of the horn, causing the guitar to lay flat instead of tilt up slightly. In that case, you can re-mount the strap pin just under the tip of the horn so it tilts up inot a more comfortable playing position.

I did that on my DK2 HRF and it was effortless to play then.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The most permanent and fool proof way imo is to drill out the hole slightly, drop in a dowel bad glue it, let it dry, drill a pilot hole, and then put the button back in. BTW, is this by chance with Schaller strap locks? Just had (ironically if you know the situation) the same thing happen on the top button of my Fender Tele, and the Schaller lock screws are the same size, but the threads are a lot finer which makes it easy for them to kill the hole.

Comment

I don't know if they are Schaller or not. Never bothered looking.

Hmmmmmmm..........I like the dowel idea. Where the hell do I find one small enough though?
                      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Craft stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby usually have a selection of improbably tiny dowels. After doing this a few dozen times, though, toothpicks really work fine.
                        This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Originally posted by petedz View Post
                          Craft stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby usually have a selection of improbably tiny dowels. After doing this a few dozen times, though, toothpicks really work fine.
                          What? On a few dozen guitars, or did you have to do the same one that worked fine again and again?

Just kidding about, if you don't do the dowling thing, toothpicks (or like SeeGermany, I use matches) will do fine.
                          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

WalMart should have skinny dowel rods in the Arts & Crafts section. I got some there a few years ago. They're about 3 feet long, but you can cut them to any length, and you'll always have them for other projects.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                              What? On a few dozen guitars, or did you have to do the same one that worked fine again and again?
                              :ROTF: Never had to do the same guitar over....the toothpick/wood glue solution is permanent.
                              This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Working...
                              X