pots 250 or 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pots 250 or 500

the guy in the local guitar shop advised me to put in 500k pots as apposed to 250.he said something about them giving the pickup more bottom end.what do you guys think?
    the pickup is an sd tb4.

500k will make it brighter. If you're using a TB4 JB, then I'd go 250k so it will warm it up and won't be so bright in the treble/high mids that pickup is known for.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

the standard practice is 500k for humbuckers, 250k for single coils.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Well, Seymour Duncan himself preferred the JB with a 250k pot. Whatever sounds and works best for you.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Well, Seymour Duncan himself preferred the JB with a 250k pot. Whatever sounds and works best for you.
          Agreed. 500K is a good place to start because you can go up or down from there. I've got 2 of the same model guitar, each with the same bridge pickup. One has a 500K volume pot and the other has a 1 meg pot and I can hear the difference between them. That being said, I like the sound of both them.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
            Agreed. 500K is a good place to start because you can go up or down from there. I've got 2 of the same model guitar, each with the same bridge pickup. One has a 500K volume pot and the other has a 1 meg pot and I can hear the difference between them. That being said, I like the sound of both them.
            FWIW ... all the Charvel Art Series guitars come stock with 250k pots.

Matt, can you describe the difference in sound between the 500k and 1 meg pots?
            And what pickups are you uisng?

I've got a few 1 meg laying around and I was thinking about trying them out.

Comment

I'm running Dimarzio Tone Zones in Ibanez PGM301s w/maple boards. The 1 meg pot is brighter, especially through my little Marshall practice amp. I notice more a difference when I turn the guitar's volume down when running through one of my 3TM MP-1s. I primarily hear it in the pick attack.

Comment

Perfect advice- for humbuckers, 500K is the place to start. Then, if you have the patience or interest, you can go in either direction in the quest for the right EQ.
                GM,
                www.aftershok.com

Comment

I'm running Dimarzio Tone Zones in Ibanez PGM301s w/maple boards. The 1 meg pot is brighter, especially through my little Marshall practice amp. I notice more a difference when I turn the guitar's volume down when running through one of my 3TM MP-1s. I primarily hear it in the pick attack.
                  Hey, you're not from the ADA Depot, are you?
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    Hey, you're not from the ADA Depot, are you?
                    I've spent some time there but haven't logged on in a while. I had to stay away from there because I was buying too much ADA gear.

Comment

thanks for the feedback lads,im gonna go 500k.

Comment

Originally posted by zenridaz View Post
                        thanks for the feedback lads,im gonna go 500k.
                        LOL! Now that we've thoroughly confused you.

A lower value pot kills some of the highs. A higher value pot brightens things up.

After putting in the 500K pot, if you find that TB4 to be too bright, try a 250K pot. If it's too dark or muddy, try a 1Meg.

Comment

i just finished wiring in the tb4.another tech advised me to put 500 for volume and 250 for tone,so i have done this.
                          the pickup sounds powerful but sounds very trebelly.
                          its got the same trebelly sound going through the singles.
                          the high notes sound great.
                          have i done the right thing with the pots?

Comment

Originally posted by zenridaz View Post
                            i just finished wiring in the tb4.another tech advised me to put 500 for volume and 250 for tone,so i have done this.
                            the pickup sounds powerful but sounds very trebelly.
                            its got the same trebelly sound going through the singles.
                            the high notes sound great.
                            have i done the right thing with the pots?
                            damn,tested it out on a faulty amp.
                            its all good im totally happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X