Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OLD PAF Kahler, how long does polished brass stay nice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLD PAF Kahler, how long does polished brass stay nice?

I just got in the mail an awesome old Patent Applied For Kahler... its solid brass but alot of the gold plating has worn away. I was going to remove the rest of the plating and polish the brass, but Im curious as to how long it would stay looking nice before oxidizing and needing to be redone? The guitar probably wont get all that much play, maybe a few hours a month and my skin oils dont seem to corrode hardware much at all.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Only one way to find out then!

Some people have sweat like Alien blood and it pits and eats away at plating in no time. Just make sure that after you finish playing it you give it a proper wipedown. Careful when undoing screws and suchlike, they will strip really easily.
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Unlacquered brass will oxidize in a few weeks IIRC.
      Scott

Comment

It will tarnish very quickly. In marine applications polished brass is often coated with laquer, but this would be very time consuming to remove the remaining plating and polishing all the time would be a pain...disassemble, polish, reassemble every time.

You would be better off having it replated, embrace the tarnished brass look, or replace it with a new Kahler.

I just replaced an unrepairable 2300 with the 7300 Hybrid, and it was a direct replacement...same holes & routing. They also included a matching string-lock...FOR FREE!! $169.95 total

Comment

^ Who is they? Kahler? They do warranty replacements for old units like the 2300's from the 80's/90's? Pretty cool unless I am missing something here.

Comment

Well I easily removed what was left of the plating and polished up the brass... holy shit, this thing came up beautiful. Still have to do the saddles though. Ill probably hit it with some Wenol or Brasso before I put it together, I wont be playing it all that much... if it stays nice for a year Ill be happy.

Tripoli ate the plating right off no problem, then finished up with some white rouge. Just time consuming, but worth it imho.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Personally, I like the aged brass look too...

Comment

Me too. Wait till he finds out the brass ones are worth a fortune, there's gonna be much gnashing of teeth and wailing!
                So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Hey .. I just mailed an old brass kahler to maple shade NJ! What a coincidence!!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

Ah no shit!

Its coming up great, Ill post some pics... but I can see how easy its gonna tarnish, its aready slightly discoloring where my fingerprints have been for a week or so.

Comment

Hey..Brass will look amazing!
                      Haven't tried it on a bridge...but I polished up some brass parts a few years ago, and sprayed them with a "hobby/craft" clearcoat....they still look awesome!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X