Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

painted pickup cover... does it affect the tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painted pickup cover... does it affect the tone?

If you paint one, does it affect the tone or not? what type of paint should some one use for a paintbrush graphic?
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

It does not affect the magnetic field any more than a bare cover, which may only dampen it slightly, if at all.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Nah, it won't do anything.

Comment

Don't use lead-based paint!

Comment

Just check tha paint has not metal on it :P
          sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

Didn't Jimmy Page claim that it livened up the sound of his LP or something when he took them off?

Comment

Someone did - probably Page.

I notice a distinct tonal difference between covered and uncovered. Covered sound like they have more mids and/or less highs.

I know that magnets won't stick to Gibson/Duncan metal covers, and plastic goes without saying, but you know the old trick where you take a metal slug on top of a sheet of paper and run it around with a magnet underneath? The thicker the material between the magnet and the slug, the slower you have to move the magnet for the slug to keep up.

Same principle should apply to covered pickups - the field is weakened by the material thickness, but not by the material itself. Stronger magnets produce stronger fields, but with guitars it's not so much the magnet strength as it is the coil density. If the magnets were too strong, the strings would pull and you'd never get it in tune or intonated. So, you need a moderate-strength magnet and a dense coil to get a high-output pickup.
              This is why Sustainor/Sustainiac driver pickups are such sucky pickups - they have less coil than normal but a powerful electromagnet. You can't have both and get a clean sound.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Someone did - probably Page.

I notice a distinct tonal difference between covered and uncovered. Covered sound like they have more mids and/or less highs.

I know that magnets won't stick to Gibson/Duncan metal covers, and plastic goes without saying, but you know the old trick where you take a metal slug on top of a sheet of paper and run it around with a magnet underneath? The thicker the material between the magnet and the slug, the slower you have to move the magnet for the slug to keep up.

Same principle should apply to covered pickups - the field is weakened by the material thickness, but not by the material itself. Stronger magnets produce stronger fields, but with guitars it's not so much the magnet strength as it is the coil density. If the magnets were too strong, the strings would pull and you'd never get it in tune or intonated. So, you need a moderate-strength magnet and a dense coil to get a high-output pickup.
                This is why Sustainor/Sustainiac driver pickups are such sucky pickups - they have less coil than normal but a powerful electromagnet. You can't have both and get a clean sound.

Jesus, how many mils of paint do you think he's gonna apply?!

I'm not Ron!

Comment

Maybe Mr. Learn can chime in here. He's the expert. I use Auto Air Colors in an airbrush (which are water base) over a urethane primer, then a urethane clear coat to seal the air brush work after a full cure. I haven't heard any differences with the painting vs. non-painting.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                    Jesus, how many mils of paint do you think he's gonna apply?!

Depends on whether he goes with airbrush or Krylon

Krylon will be a minimum of 4 mil

Comment

So what is the recommended paint for painting, say, an EMG? I have a white one that I would like to just paint black, but I don't have an air brush. I have had some good success with Deft rattle cans spraying lacquer, so I understand the principals involved. My thought is to scuff the pup, prime it and spray my color coat. I don't think a clear coat would be necessary.... or am I completely off base here?
                      "... and is there anyone out there who can sing music beyond either the Dead/Phish/jam band of the week

or

obscure B-side GreatWhiteLionSnake demos recorded in the basement of some guy who was the girlfriend's second cousin's in-law's best man?

I swear to God, if we audition another American Idol wannabee or have another no show, I'll turn postal. I'm a donkey on the frickin' edge."

Comment

Originally posted by neverdunn View Post
                        So what is the recommended paint for painting, say, an EMG? I have a white one that I would like to just paint black, but I don't have an air brush. I have had some good success with Deft rattle cans spraying lacquer, so I understand the principals involved. My thought is to scuff the pup, prime it and spray my color coat. I don't think a clear coat would be necessary.... or am I completely off base here?
                        EMG's have a "textured" finish that is molded in. The profile would be excellent for holding paint. Just wipe the plastic down with a clean cloth and some Naptha and use your rattle can with several light coats. No, you won't need a clear coat, but it would add some added protection in case you got pick crazy. Don't forget to mask off the bottom, so you can avoid getting any over spray underneath on the electrical contacts.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

You sound like you have done this before! Any paint in particular you would recommend? I was just going to use the spray my local paint shop carries. Probably PPG or House of Kolor.
                          "... and is there anyone out there who can sing music beyond either the Dead/Phish/jam band of the week

or

obscure B-side GreatWhiteLionSnake demos recorded in the basement of some guy who was the girlfriend's second cousin's in-law's best man?

I swear to God, if we audition another American Idol wannabee or have another no show, I'll turn postal. I'm a donkey on the frickin' edge."

Comment

Working...
                          X