volume and tone knobs wobble when I turn them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volume and tone knobs wobble when I turn them

Hi, so I have a Jackson SLATQH that i purchased with emgs allready installed in it. the volume and tone pots have been changed when the emg's were put in and because of this the fancy knobs with the mother of pearl on top of them spin off center. The new pots have a smaller shaft than the old factory pots do. This just makes the guitar feel cheep to me and I would like to fix it. Does anyone know how I do that?
    Thanks

Sounds like the knobs are 1/4" while the pots are now 6mm. You can put 6mm dome knobs on there (easy to find), or replace the pots with the 1/4" variety (hard to find). A lot of people just live with the knobs not fitting perfectly. Maybe somebody can chime in with a source for those 1/4" pots.

Comment

do they make the 6mm knobs with pearl tops on them?

Comment

the pearl knobs look cheezy just put the black knobs back on it.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

You could use something like electrical tape to increase the shaft diameter so the knobs don't wobble. A wrap or two with a strip of foil or plumber's teflon tape might also work if you don't want gooey residue. Not a perfect solution, but I've done it in non-guitar situations & it works.

Comment

Plumber's teflon tape..+1

Originally posted by dg View Post
            You could use something like electrical tape to increase the shaft diameter so the knobs don't wobble. A wrap or two with a strip of foil or plumber's teflon tape might also work if you don't want gooey residue. Not a perfect solution, but I've done it in non-guitar situations & it works.

The plumbers tape works great, fits the threads perfectly and easy to remove if needed. I had the same problem and this fixed it 100% with just 1-2 wraps.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              the pearl knobs look cheezy just put the black knobs back on it.
              actually they fit the guitar nicley and I think thats why all the archtops came with them from jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by sgray View Post
                The plumbers tape works great, fits the threads perfectly and easy to remove if needed. I had the same problem and this fixed it 100% with just 1-2 wraps.
                I'll have to try that. I honestly thought about it before but I didnt think it would work

Comment

Hi
                  If the knobs have set screws, make sure they line up with the split in the shaft. When you tighten the screws, the shaft will open up...snugger fit, if they are not lined up, you actually make the shaft smaller....hope this applies! Cheers.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X