pickup height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup height

whats the best height for the bridge pickup for the dk2m, some what heigher then the stock setup?
    EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
    1959Epiphone les paul
    george L cables
    mxr pedals
    Engl fireball 100

Depends on your preference. Closer to the strings will increase the output slightly, while further away will decrease the output.

Too close and the string will be in the outer bands of the magnetic field, which reduces signal.

If you're happy with the volume but not the drive, don't change the height, change the pickup.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've heard 3/32" quoted as a starting point for the bridge pup. You can measure it using a 3/32" drill bit as a feeler gauge. As newc says, then adjust to taste.

Comment

There is no set measurement just adj to taste.Too close to the strings you will loose sustain and the magnets may pull the string out of tune slightly.Too far and you loose output.Adj both pickups to where they sound best to you and have about the same vol.Then adj the polepieces to fine tune the over all flavor of the pickup.
        The factory just slaps them in and adjusts to a generic height.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

pole pieces are the screws on top of the pickup? most people adjust them? thanks!
          1959Epiphone les paul
          george L cables
          mxr pedals
          Engl fireball 100

Comment

Originally posted by ken361 View Post
            pole pieces are the screws on top of the pickup? most people adjust them? thanks!
            only if there are volume differences per string that you do not like.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by ken361 View Post
              Don't worry about adjusting those if you are just starting out with this.

Comment

just wonderd if say u turn a screw to the right it brightens up sort of speak.
                1959Epiphone les paul
                george L cables
                mxr pedals
                Engl fireball 100

Comment

Not really brightens, it tweaks the output in favor of the given pole's string.

The poles can be used as a sort of EQ to shape the output characteristics of the pickup in relation to Major chords and solos - raise the treble poles to increase the output on the treble side, raise the bass poles to make it more bottom heavy, raise only the middle poles to accentuate the middle strings.

However, raising each set of poles will not affect the adjacent strings - raising only the 3rd pole will not affect the 4th string's output level. Also, you have to lower the pickup to get the most noticeable effect of individual pole adjustment.
                  This is best used with cleans and non-high-gain situations (i.e. Heavy Metal, Rock, Blues, Jazz, Country, etc). It's not as noticeable in high-gain playing like Death/Speed/Thrash. It will work with older Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Black Sabbath.

As well, I've found it to have the most noticeable effect on no-name import pickups that have two rows of screws, instead of just one with a row of slug poles.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I usually tend to move the pup closer to the Treble E and away from the Bass E. Not much room for this on my WR1 compared to my WRMG (the latter being a bolt on with the neck higher than the body surface).
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Thanks! seems lowering the bar on the 6th string is not as tight sounding which I like. See how sounds cranked when I can
                      1959Epiphone les paul
                      george L cables
                      mxr pedals
                      Engl fireball 100

Comment

I've got the pickup pretty much as close as it can be, and as stated before, slanted a bit so that it's closer to the treble E, and further away from the bass E.
                        - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

I keep mine pretty far away. Modern amps have way more gain than is ever needed. No reason to have your pickups be loud too.

Comment

Too close to the strings and you will loose clarity and sustain.If you like muddy tone then go with it.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'll also throw out that every pickup could be different and require different heights for hitting the "sweet spot". The string gauge you are using is also a factor.

A Gibson 500T with 3 ceramics or a Diuncan Distortion with an oversized ceramic would probably need to be further away from the strings than a Duncan Alnico Pro II with a weaker A2 magnet.

If you use 9's, they won't generate the power as a set of 12's will.

Like straycat said, if you get too close to the strings for the pickup you are using and it's a nasty muddy mess. No string clarity.

Comment

Working...
                              X