Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fret coming up? (And neck refinishing questions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret coming up? (And neck refinishing questions)

On my Epiphone X-1000, I've noticed awful buzz on the second fret that makes it almost unplayable up there. It's been kind of hot and humid in my guitar, and I wonder if the fret is coming out? It's a bit hard to tell due to the binding. The rest of the neck (save for a bit of buzz on the first, which I assume is from the second fret) is buzz free with pretty low action. It was not like this before. If it was truss rod I would think the whole neck would be out of whack. Intonation is also off.

Since I may need to take the strings off to work on it, I also plan on taking the tacky paint of the neck and finishing it in tung oil. Good idea, bad idea, not a bad idea but better options? Give me some feed back. I really like the way it plays and sounds, but has some quirks that I think are quite fixable with a little effort.

If you press down on the edge of the fret, do you see some play in it?

Comment

Humidity can cause problems.Like axe said can you actually move the fret.Can you see a gap between the fretboard and the fret?
      You can tap the fret back down with a small plastic tipped hammer then bleed thin super glue down in the fret slot.
      Take a straight edge and check all the frets.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It does seem to have a little play in it. The buzzing is worse in the middle of fret. Could it be coming up in the middle of the fret? I can't really see a gap in the fretboard/binding. I think I may see if I can't slip a thin feeler gauge under it to check to see if it's loose.

EDIT: Nope, .008" wouldn't go under it, but the closer I look, I can see some rockign motion in it for sure.
        Last edited by CharvelRocker; 06-08-2008, 12:21 PM.

Comment

You might clamp the end of the fret down before super-gluing.

Comment

I have seen them pop up in the middle, just clamp it down in the middle and as your are doing that watch the ends and see if they move any.
            There may be glue build up in the middle of the fret slot so you may need to pull the fret and clean the dried glue out and re seat the fret.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
            X