String Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Gauge

Hello there. I have a little question. Since I got my Jackson DK2 three or so months ago I've been using 9-46 strings (D'Addario) however I don't like the tone too much and would like to switch to 11-49s. However, on a previos guitar, a cheap Ibanez these gauges would cause problems, apparently the nut was not made for such "fat" strings (indeed, not quite that much). No problems were had with an Epiphone. This Jackson sounds promising and indeed if there's a problem I might as well remove the strings and save them for the Epiphone but I rather not, so I'd like to know, from someone whose used these strings on the same guitar model, if the "pain" won't go beyond the usual messing with the truss rod et cetera. Thank you!

I ve used 11 on a 375 charvel and have no problem. It is not the same guitar but it may help.

Good Luck
    sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

I use 10-52s on a Gibson V, SG, Fender Strat with OFR and 2 KV2s with OFR. No problems on any of the guitars. The strings fit through the lock nuts of the Floyd guitars and through the nuts of the stop tails with no problem. I assume the DK2 has a Floyd, so that should be no problem. Even if it doesn't have a trem, the nut can be 'worked on' to fit the heavier strings. Shouldn't be any problem at all. Good Luck.

Comment

All right. Thanks. Indeed, it does have a trem. It's just that it is my first Jackson, so I wanted to make sure by asking here if there could be problems (if so, I could take 10-46s for now) especially cause I can't really "afford" having probs since I need this guitar to be ready to sing any moment. I have three guitars but this one is the only one with a trem and tuned to Eb. The others, an Epiphone Les Paul and a LTD are tuned to E and Drop D respectively and both use 10-52s, by the way. Next week will be wild so all guitars must be ready for abuse, heh. I'll give it a shot then. After all, Katja a friend, had no probs. with 13s (though that was an USA Soloist and I think she's modified it quite a bit. Thanks again. See ya.
        Last edited by FM Piotr; 06-07-2008, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X