Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disassembling JE-1200

Hi there

I´ve recently exchanged the stock bridge and neck pickup in my Charvel Model 6 with a DiMarzio X2n and Seymour Duncan Lil´ Screamin´ Demon. I did a simpl replacement and connected them to the stock JE-1200 circuit, which causes complete meltdown. Chords totally distort on the clean channel, and feedback is inevitable on the distortion channels. No wonder, since these pickups inarguably are very high output.

So I´ve decided to get rid of the original electronics.
    Not being the electronics expert I´ve got a couple of questions:

I intend to keep the on/off pickup switches, and would like a tone and volume control. Any ideas on what the extra potentiometer slot could be used for?

Have any of you made a similar operation, and do you in that case have some information on the wiring? I guess it´s not that hard with just on/off switches, but as I said before, I´m quite a rookie on wiring.

I guess 500K pots would do the job right? Since the pickups are humbuckers and high output. Which brand of potentiometers is best, I´ve heard that the quality varies a lot? Any recommendations for the type of capacitor for the tone control?

Now, that was a lot of helplessness, but you´re free to just answer one of the questions

Thansk in advance!
    Last edited by Blackkeeper; 06-06-2008, 01:40 AM.

There shouldn't be any feedback with the other pickups. I use Jackson J80c high-gain pickup with JE1200 boost and it doesn't producde any unwanted feedback. Was the JE1200 working ok before with the Jackson pickups?

Comment

I don´t remember having any trouble with the J-50BC humbucker and the J-200 SC in the neck.
      Besides, when i use the stock J-200 which i still have in the middle position, everything works as it should.

i don´t think there is anything wrong with the JE-1200. But am I right in thinking that the circuait actually boosts the signal, even with the mid-boost turned down, as compensation for the low-output of the stock pickups?

I guess the problem is, that the output from the new pickups ends up being way too high for the amplifier, and then causes distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackkeeper View Post
        But am I right in thinking that the circuait actually boosts the signal, even with the mid-boost turned down, as compensation for the low-output of the stock pickups?
        Yeah, I think so too.

Comment

Working...
        X