Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-90C wiring question

Hi

I 've been trying to reduce the noise from muy 375 Dlx and when I opened it I found that the gree J-90C wire was plugged to GND (pot base) and the black one to the 5 way switch.
    But I ve read (http://www.skguitar.com/SKGS/sk/Pick...or%20codes.htm) that the black wire is neg and the green pos.
    Interchanging them only changes polarity theorically but can it introduce noise ???

Does someone have a warring schematic ?

Thanks
    Diego
    sigpicPlayForFun

also should the screw pole pices be on next to the bridge or on the neck side of the humb ?
    sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

No it can't increase noise. Unless the wire connected to ground is a cold solder joint or just not contacting properly. I would unsolder the two connections And then reconnect them. If theres still noise after rconnecting the J90C. double check all the other wires including the jack wires. to make sure they're all connected right and solid.
      Gil

Comment

guitarelectronics.com has a color code chart for the different pick up MFG's.That will answer your Q.
        The screw pole pieces are to the side closest to the bridge.
        Cold solder joints will increase noise due to a bad ground.
        Last edited by straycat; 06-04-2008, 12:05 AM.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The position of thepoles is personal taste. But typically the screw pole pieces should be towards the bridge. and the slug poles towards the neck.

Comment

If all the pups are original. The J90C should be green to hot, black to ground. red and white soldered together and taped. The 2 single coils (JS100) should be white to switch and black to ground. If the bridge pup sounds thin and weak when mixed with the middle pup. Its out of phase. reverse the green and black wires and that should fix it.
            Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
              If all the pups are original. The J90C should be green to hot, black to ground. red and white soldered together and taped.
              No, black to hot, green to ground. That's the correct way to wire them. Your way works too, but it's for out of phase wiring.

You can wire old Jackson J series pickups just like Seymour&Duncans and follow their diagrams on the web.

guitarelectronics.com have color code schematics for newer Jackson pickups I think.

Comment

Nazgul is correct, black to hot green to ground:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/albums/jc-cat...Page14_015.jpg

Comment

use that chart and go to http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
                  and use one of their fine diagrams. i've found their's the most informative and easy to read and print. the chart mountaindog posted is the chart i use most. i even saved it to my webserver so i can access it from anywhere. (hey so did mountain dog)
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                    If all the pups are original. The J90C should be green to hot, black to ground. red and white soldered together and taped. The 2 single coils (JS100) should be white to switch and black to ground. If the bridge pup sounds thin and weak when mixed with the middle pup, its out of phase. reverse the green and black wires and that should fix it.
                    Gil

Wow, apparently I was the only one who saw this. :ROTF:

Seriously, guys, black and green are interchangeable, just as Gil said. There's no "right" or "wrong" here. Some people want the thinner tone when mixed with the singles, some don't.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yes it makes sense, the green and black can be interchanged because inductors are not polarized components.
                      But I thought using the Humbacker in face or out of face with the singles could make a difference noise wise; in fact I thing that using it out of face would decreese the noise by minimizing the common noisebetween the single and the pickup.
                      But since the noise picked up by the single is different than the Humbacker I'm not sure if this is even noticeable.

PD: Also many times not polarized componentes as inductors have a better S/N (signal to noise ratio) connection than the other just because of construction facts.
                      Although I doubt this is the case.

Thanks
                      Diego
                      sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

Is there a bare silver wire coming from the pickup? It should be connected wherever the green one is, and may be wrapped around it.

If it's not there, that's probably the problem.

Also check that the red/white wires are not being mashed into a contact point when the cavity cover is on (they should actually be wrapped in tape to prevent contact unless they're connected to a switch).
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The white and red are taped to the main pickup cable so it doesnt touch anything.

And the bare cable is GND and it is solded to GND (Pot case)

Those don't seem to be the problem, Thanks anyway
                          sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

I know i know. This is an old thread but check it out, my j90c has bare, orange,red,brown, and black. So whats what? Im thinkin orange and bare are ground, red and brown get soldered together and black is hot....that right?

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                              I know i know. This is an old thread but check it out, my j90c has bare, orange,red,brown, and black. So whats what? Im thinkin orange and bare are ground, red and brown get soldered together and black is hot....that right?
                              Dude, not a J-90C. Pictures please.

Comment

Working...
                              X