lowering the bridge some

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lowering the bridge some

need the action a bit lower, I adjusted the allen screw on each side to the left and it went down some but its far it will go. I took off the stock strings and put new 9's but these went to 46. the bridge has a slight tilt and i didn't have it set up when i got it thought it was pretty good when i got it. really no string buzz, all the notes hit good and the action was pretty good also. So i like to hear from the experts on here what they think. thanks!
    EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
    1959Epiphone les paul
    george L cables
    mxr pedals
    Engl fireball 100

the bridge should be sitting perfectly parallel with the body. it's a balancing act between the tension of the strings and the tension of the springs.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

is it that much of a deal? i dont know alot about these
      1959Epiphone les paul
      george L cables
      mxr pedals
      Engl fireball 100

Comment

It takes some patience to set up a floyd. I believe there is a tutorial here in the tech q & a's. Just take your time and make small adjustments on the springs until the bridge is parallel. You dont want it sitting at an angle
        Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

If the bridge is pulled up, tighten the springs. If the bridge is pulled down, loosen the springs. It's not rocket science!

You will have to retune after adjusting the springs. The good thing is that once this is adjusted, you shouldn't have to adjust it again unless you change string gauge.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by ken361 View Post
            is it that much of a deal? i dont know alot about these
            Is this a floating trem that you can pull up as well as dive bomb?
            If that's the case, it's like DR said. You have to tweak spring tension and string tension until the trem body sits parallel to the guitar top. Oh and you have to get string pitch right, during the process. It can be tedious work. Once that's set you should check the intonation. If the "tilt" of the bridge is any different than it was when last intonated, it will likely need to be adjusted. I would use a very high quality tuner to perform the intonation with. Do you have a guitar tech that you use?

This article help me get started with doing my own Floyd setups:
            http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm

Comment

thanks!
              1959Epiphone les paul
              george L cables
              mxr pedals
              Engl fireball 100

Comment

just open the back cover up and adjust the screws a little to the right and see what happens?
                1959Epiphone les paul
                george L cables
                mxr pedals
                Engl fireball 100

Comment

Originally posted by ken361 View Post
                  just open the back cover up and adjust the screws a little to the right and see what happens?
                  I think I'm afraid to ask what happens? Or happened!

If you turn the screws clockwise, the back of the bridge will pivot down towards the body. At the same time, the pitch of the strings will go up. So you keep tweaking the "claw" screws and the string pitch until the trem is parallel to the body and the strings are at the right pitch.

Once that's done, strum some chords and see how "in tun" it sounds. If it sounds bad with the strings tuned correctly, it will need to be intonated.

Make sense? Oh yeah...turn the claw screws in 1/8 turn increments. Don't go crazy with them and turn them evenly to keep BOTH, top and bottom, flats of the bridge parallel to the body.
                  Last edited by Da' Melta'; 06-03-2008, 11:19 AM.

Comment

what city are you in da' melta, warren here
                    1959Epiphone les paul
                    george L cables
                    mxr pedals
                    Engl fireball 100

Comment

Offhand I'd say Detroit

Before you turn any screws, unlock the nut locks.

Otherwise, it's just like was said before - tighten the trem springs in the back a little, then loosen the strings a little to keep it tuned. Once the trem baseplate is parallel to the body surface, tune the strings and lock the nut.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

thanks for your help! The bridge lays real nice now, prob better then I got it. So this is basicly how you put 10's on, tighten clock wise?
                        1959Epiphone les paul
                        george L cables
                        mxr pedals
                        Engl fireball 100

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          Offhand I'd say Detroit

Before you turn any screws, unlock the nut locks.

Otherwise, it's just like was said before - tighten the trem springs in the back a little, then loosen the strings a little to keep it tuned. Once the trem baseplate is parallel to the body surface, tune the strings and lock the nut.
                          Forgot the damn locking nut! Thanks Newc.

Comment

Im done with "Pulling up"...just got 3 of those Ax cessories Floyd locks
                            that you mount inside the trem cavity. So far i like it..although it may
                            need some lock tite to keep the allen screw from moving. This gives
                            a stop to the return side of the FR..and allows for zeroing in and staying
                            dead on in tune. Just cant "Pull up"...but im a diver anyway...

Comment

Working...
                            X