275 Dlx wont stay in tune !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 275 Dlx wont stay in tune !

I have an 275 Dlx with a schaller tremolo; the thing wont stay in tune. I tune it and a couple of hours after it is detuned. If I use the brigde All the strings keep the relation with each other but they go sharp (generally)
    What could be the problem ? I was thinking about the springs. could this be ?

Thanks to all
    sigpicPlayForFun

Check the knife edges. Maybe they are worn. Could also be a weak spring (s).

Comment

How do I know if the knife edges are worn?
      What should I look for ?
      sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

Dull knife edges will be slightly rounded off. You can also try lubricating the pivot point of the knife edges with some chapstick.
        Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Ok I 'll try that and if that doesn't work I'll post some pics of it and maybe you can tell me what you think if it .

Thanks to both of you
          Diego
          sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

New springs would probably help too. I've had the same problem on a couple of guitars over the years, and fresh springs cleared it up. Of course, I'm assuming you've already adjusted the spring tension . . .
            sigpic

Comment

Yes I have adjusted the spring tension, but I'm not sure it is only that I'm startting to doubt the schaller tremolo cause y Blocked the trem from going back (only goes towards the body now) with a pice of wood and tightened the springs and it keept getting out of tune.

I 'll keep on testing and as soon as I conclude something I'll tell you.

Thanks for the help and any ideas are appresiated !
              sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

learn to set up a floyd properly. and don't lock it down untill the bridge is sitting perfectly level with the body. which sometimes means detuning and retuning. you've got to stretch and strech and then stretch some more untill the strings stay intune and the bridge sits level. then you can lock it down and it will stay in tune.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Is it the original trem that came with the guitar? If so, it's the single-locking version of the Schaller (aka Jackson JT-570, same as the 1st generation Floyd Rose II), where the strings are fed through squared off tubes in place of the locking screws. There is all kinds of potential for tuning stability problems with that design. For some reason, they put it on the 275. Here's a pic of a 275 trem:

If that's what you have on yours rather than a true double-locking Schaller Floyd, the tuning instability could just be related to the poor design of the trem. These can be converted to double-locking by replacing the saddles. The baseplate is the same as a regular Schaller floyd.

Also be sure to check the locknut for slippage, or for the locknut itself to be loose & moving in its slot. Going sharp after a dive is often related to that type of problem. Usually you can hear a pinging sound if the wound strings are slipping. If the nut itself is moving, sometimes you'll hear a creaking or popping sound.

Comment

The trem is the same Dg posted on the pic. I tried tightening a bit more the locking nut and check if it was damaged in any way but didn't find anything out of the ordinary.
                    (Just the marks of the strings but no too deep)

Do you know any link or page where I can find more details on how to make the trem double locking ??

Thanks to all again

Pd: Dreamland_Rebel I did strech the strings before locking the nut and everything but it still gtet out of tune
                    I even change the strings to new ones (again streching them and giving them some time to settle) but the problem remains. Thanks anyway !!
                    sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

Do check the knife edges also look at the pivot studs and see if there is any rust where the knife edges make contact with the studs.Also are the string saddles loose?Clean the entire trem by taking it apart and put it all back together.
                      The knife edges will get little divots and rust build up once clean take a half round file and put an edge back on.It doesn't need to be as sharp as a knife per say just clean up the edges so they fit the studs.
                      These single lockers aren't the best but I have made them work fairly well.The best thing to do is upgrade the saddles to the standard Schaller double locking and be done with it.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Simple solution would be to solder the ball ends of the strings. Trick us Kahler guys use as well, works great!
                        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Thats a good idea too.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                          X