Halp! Intonation problem :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halp! Intonation problem :(

Hi guys, I joined up because I hear there's some pretty knowledgeable dudes around this neck of the internet, and I have somewhat of a problem with one of my guitars. I have a Schecter 007 Elite, and it's an absolutely amazing guitar aside from one problem. The D string's intonation is flat, but I've adjusted the saddle as far forward as it will allow.

Now before you ask, YES, my guitar is set up correctly. It's not a neck problem, the saddle is facing the right way, etc. etc. My question is, what do you DO in this situation? Is there anything you CAN do?

You can change the string, It might just be you got a bad string.
    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer View Post
      You can change the string, It might just be you got a bad string.
      That's not it either, it's consistent through string changes. =\

Comment

I'm not sure this will work with that bridge, but on a TOM you can flip the whole bridge around, or flip individual saddles around to get a bit more travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
          I'm not sure this will work with that bridge, but on a TOM you can flip the whole bridge around, or flip individual saddles around to get a bit more travel.
          The D string saddle is already flipped, I'm out of options.

Comment

Is the nut cut correctly?
            Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by shobet View Post
              Is the nut cut correctly?
              I'm assuming so. Or at least I don't have any reason to think it isn't.

Comment

Remember the guitar doesn't ever intonate completely to 100% because of the frets.

Try one of those Compensated nuts.

Not familiar with that model - is it neckthrough or bolt on? If it's bolt, check that the neck is straight from side to side. If you can, angle it slightly to one side to get the string in the right spot.

You can also try a different TOM with a longer saddle travel.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Remember the guitar doesn't ever intonate completely to 100% because of the frets.
                  Yeah but this is off enough to create a lot of dissonance in chords and such.

Try one of those Compensated nuts.

Not familiar with that model - is it neckthrough or bolt on? If it's bolt, check that the neck is straight from side to side. If you can, angle it slightly to one side to get the string in the right spot.

You can also try a different TOM with a longer saddle travel.

It's a neckthrough, and do they make TOMs with larger saddle ranges?

Comment

What tuning are you using? Most standard bridges can't intonate once you go lower than D.

You could also try slightly thicker strings, like moving from 9s to 10s, or 10s to 11s.
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                      What tuning are you using? Most standard bridges can't intonate once you go lower than D.
                      Just standard, I don't have a reason to detune my 7-string.

Comment

how about trying a thicker/thinner string just for the D? I am sort of facing a similar problem... but with my 'G' string. I think I chose the wrong gage and its a tad too thin.
                        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
                          Just standard, I don't have a reason to detune my 7-string.
                          You never know these days. You might have been tuning to Gb or something!

It could be that the saddles are just in the wrong position, or the frets are off just enough to cause problems. What gauge is the D string?
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                            You never know these days. You might have been tuning to Gb or something!
                            Now now, B is quite low enough for me.

It could be that the saddles are just in the wrong position, or the frets are off just enough to cause problems. What gauge is the D string?
                            Whatever comes with a normal 10-52 set, probably a 30 I think.

Comment

Flip the saddle or have you already done that? You weren't real clear in your answer.
                              You can file the back side of the saddle to get more adj travel.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X