Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzzing fret

Hey guys,

I have this buzzy fret on the low E string, ive tried messing with the action but its still there & its real noisey. Is there anything else i could try?

Many thanks

Matty..

I have two of these on an old guitar of mine. It appears the frets are actually lifting from the neck.
    If that's the case with you, I suppose you'll have to re-seat it. But I don't know how to do it, maybe someone else can help, cos I'd like to sort mine too.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

With the guitar tuned to pitch laying down or in playing position (better), and using some visual magnification, hit the string with a picking motion. Look to see if the string is hitting any frets. It could be low action at the nut. Usually, the buzzing is on the first fret. It maybe hitting the top of the fret. I just repaired a LP Standard that has this on the high "E" string.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Make sure it's not hardware buzz either.
        2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
        2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
        2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
        2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
        2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
        2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
        2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
        2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
        2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
        1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
        1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Is the buzzing only on the open string? If so, Bengal65 is right. Your nut slot has probably worn and is too deep causing it to fret out on the first fret. You will probably have to have the nut replaced. If it doesn't buzz on the open string, you need to find the "high" fret or frets. Take a very accurate straight edge and place it on three frets at a time. They should all be level - no rocking or gaps. This can find a high fret. The high fret will have to be filed down and recrowned. You will want this done by someone with fret skills. You will want to isolate the high fret or frets. If you don't have a good straight edge, you can find the high fret by playing. Play the E string at each fret. When you find a buzz the high fret is usually the next fret. Sometimes it could be the fret two steps up if the fret is really high. Once again, take it to someone knowlegeable!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
            take it to someone knowledgeable!!!
            You should learn yourself just for the knowledge of knowing what to look for.. as far as the repair that's when you find someone knowledgeable..
            2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
            2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
            2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
            2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
            2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
            2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
            2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
            2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
            2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
            1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
            1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Working...
            X