Shimming a non-recessed Floyd for dive only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shimming a non-recessed Floyd for dive only

I've search the boards here for the info I need and couldn't find but I know folks have done it so here goes.

For reference, this guitar in question is a 2006 San Dimas Reissue so it has the angled neck pocket and the Floyd is raised up off the body.

If I want to shim a non-recessed Floyd so it's dive only (sitting on the body), how much will I have to shim the saddles? Allparts sells a set of metal shims for Floyds (a set of 12) and I recall reading somewhere (not on their site) that the shims are 0.2mm tall. If all shims are used, that would raise every saddle 0.4mm. Will that height difference be enough or we talking more than that? Please advise and thank you in advance for your replies.

What I did was make a stop for in the back of the spring cavity, padded with a little bit of velcro loop. I got the trem where I wanted zero to be, and installed the stop and velcro, which was basically a bit of aluminum, bent to an "L", and screwed it into the spring cavity floor. Worked wonderfully.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

I have not seen anyone do it, but you could reverse shim the neck - meaning put shims in the front of the neck pocket. But Racerx2k has the better idea. Axcessories sells a "block" kit for floating Floyd Roses. If you look at the picture, you can probably replicate the set up by scrounging at home depot. Heres the link:
      http://www.axcessories.com/products.asp?cat=103

Comment

I'm sorry but I didn't mention that what I really want to do is get the bridge down on the body so it's lower for my picking hand. I'll get a Tremol-No for locking the bridge down for dive only or whatever.

Comment

Matt, you don't need to do anything with the saddles. Saddle shimming comes into play when you are trying to get the bridge to match the fretboard radius. Since you don't want to just block the trem, but want to lower it to the body, all you do is lower the trem posts. You will then need to reverse-shim the neck to eliminate the neck angle like ulijdavid said. Depending on what length sustain block your trem has, you may need to change it. If the original is 42mm, you may need to change it out for a 37mm block. Some of the new Charvels already have a 37mm block. I have one with a 42 & one with a 37. Not exactly sure why they did that.

Comment

Gotch ya DG. I misunderstood a post I read. I thought I had to shim the saddles. I'm with ya on the sustain block though. I planned on buying one if I needed that.

Thanks again for all the help folks.

Comment

I shimmed the saddles when I dropped my Floyd to the body on my Charvel Star. With the trem down, the action was too low and would fret out. I didn't want to do anything to the neck, so I just added some shims under each saddle and brought them up until it was an acceptable height. Whatever works best for you.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
              X