Kahler nut with a JT-6 bridge??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler nut with a JT-6 bridge??

I just noticed on my red model 2 it has a different nut that the other model two. One has flat allen head lock screws the other has the taller slotted screws. Wonder if it came from Charvel this way or somebody changed the bridge at some point??
    750XL Cherry Sunburst
    375DX Metallic black
    Model 2 blue
    Model 2 Red
    USA Candy Apple Red San Dimas
    USA Slime Green San Dimas
    MIJ ProMod Candy Blue San Dimas
    Gibson Les Pauls
    PRS SC-250

I'm guessing either it was a transition period or someone changed the locking nut. I know when I got my 86 Model 4 of Spike, someone had put a JT-6 nut on it, so I promptly bought the correct, Kahler locking nut for it. They are direct swaps, so it's no big deal, either way.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

You can change the slotted lock nut screws to flat allen head screws on behind the nut lock nuts on Model 2's. I've done so on three different ones.

Comment

The one that has the flat allen head lock screws is made by Kahler, and was likely on the earlier-made Mod 2. It was probably left over from the 1st year production Model line that all had Kahler trems for the most part.

When they switched to the JT6, the lock-nut with taller slotted screws was made along with it, with the same pot-metal, and IMO not a s good. Changing the slot screws with hex ones helps with tighting them down, but it's not as good as the Kahler-made ones.

I've noticed that I've seen more of the Kahler-made locknuts with JT6s on Model 6's than any other Mod series. I think Jackson reserved the Kahler ones for the higher end Mod 6, cos they knew it was better quality. Just a theory.

BTW, the Kahler locknut has a slightly narrower mounting holes than the slotted kind. I needed to plug and redrill when changing from one to the other.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
          BTW, the Kahler locknut has a slightly narrower mounting holes than the slotted kind. I needed to plug and redrill when changing from one to the other.
          Interesting, as mine lined up, perfectly, and I didn't have to do a thing when I swapped mine. Hmm...
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
            Interesting, as mine lined up, perfectly, and I didn't have to do a thing when I swapped mine. Hmm...
            Yeah, that is weird. The time I had to plug and redrill was for my ~87/88 Mod2. This was a few years ago, but the screw holes wouldn't line up on the Kahler one, and unless all screws were at a decent angle it wouldn't have worked. I could have gotten away with just plugging 2 on one end, but the center would've been off. The holes actually overlap a little so visually it looks the same.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Just to let you know, my 87/88 Model 4M has the Kahler nut. Was purchased new.

-Wade
              Checkout My New Song Here

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6572063

Heres another one for ya's
              http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6643459

Comment

Working...
              X