Capacitors and Active Pick-Ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitors and Active Pick-Ups

Ok, I bought am EMG 81/85 secondhand and a cheap dragonfire single coil (just to fill the single coil hole). The EMG's didn't come with pots etc, so I had to get them. The problem I'm having is the capacitor. I bought a 0.1uF 30v Tantalum bead capacitor, but I don't think it's right.

Today I went and bought a 0.1uF Mylar Film Capacitor (not sure of the voltage - think it's 200), a 0.1uF 50v ceramic disc capacitor, and a 0.1uf 100v capacitor.

Which one should I use (if any)? I e-mailed EMG weeks ago, but they haven't replied.

Cheers.

--Tommy

I've never seen metal film or tantalum used in it. Tantalum don't discharge as fast IIRC. I've only seen poly/Mylar film and ceramic disk ones. What is the last one you mentioned? I'm assuming electrolytic (sp?)? I would use the .1uF Mylar film, which ios what is on my EMG equipped guitar now IIRC.

Comment

I use metal film caps only.

Comment

Mylar caps are a lot smoothing sounding than electrolytic or ceramic so the choices is up to you depending on what sort of sound you want

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I'm leaning towards the Mylar Film. I've also e-mail EMG again, so hopefully they'll reply this time.

--Tommy

Comment

Working...
          X