Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What causes color cracks under the clear coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes color cracks under the clear coat?

I noticed that a couple of my model series have develop feather-like cracks in the paint color but these are under the clear coat, you can't feel them. A few of these appeared when I was color sanding and polishing. Not sure why 2000 gt paper and polishing would cause the base color to crack, especially under the clear coat?? Anybody else see these type of cracks on older Charvels?
    750XL Cherry Sunburst
    375DX Metallic black
    Model 2 blue
    Model 2 Red
    USA Candy Apple Red San Dimas
    USA Slime Green San Dimas
    MIJ ProMod Candy Blue San Dimas
    Gibson Les Pauls
    PRS SC-250

Since it happened after sanding & polishing, it makes me wonder whether it's heat-related. Were you wet-sanding? Did you use a power polisher or buffer?

-edit- just saw your other thread. Since you wet-sanded & polished by hand, that probably rules out heat. It was a thought...
    Last edited by dg; 05-20-2008, 12:33 PM.

Comment

I was wet sanding, but even rubbing by hand creates some heat. I am surprised that it was enough to cause paint cracking deep under the clear coat. Oh well, it needed it. I guess the only other thing I could have done was go from 2000 gt to 2500 to 3000gt to avoid more hand rubbing with rubbing and polishing compound?
      750XL Cherry Sunburst
      375DX Metallic black
      Model 2 blue
      Model 2 Red
      Gibson Les Pauls
      PRS SC-250

Comment

At what location on the body do the cracks appear?
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

On the top edge of the large horn.
          750XL Cherry Sunburst
          375DX Metallic black
          Model 2 blue
          Model 2 Red
          Gibson Les Pauls
          PRS SC-250

Comment

Hmmm. I was gonna say if it was near the pickups or bridge, you may be exposing a repair (hole patch).

Then again, are you quite sure it's not the clear? You can't always feel finish cracks, even if you can see them.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sitting out in the sunshine, playing your guitar in the garden?
              So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Since you said you were color sanding, I am guessing this is a refinish project. If that is the case I am guessing it is either incompatability between the paint and the clear or you sprayed on too thick.

Comment

I will take a photo.

This was not a re-fin, I was only wet sanding out some surface scratches.
                  750XL Cherry Sunburst
                  375DX Metallic black
                  Model 2 blue
                  Model 2 Red
                  Gibson Les Pauls
                  PRS SC-250

Comment

Don't wet sand with water you're asking for problems.Use mineral spirits.
                    Water will get in screw holes/surface scratches and swell the wood causing cracks in the paint under the clear coat.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I found even better than straight mineral spirits, is to add a little mineral oil to mineral spirits. Mineral oil completely prevents corning on the paper, but drastically slows cutting when used alone. Maybe a 1:8 mixture allows fast sanding but zero corning.

Comment

Here are some pictures as they speak a 1000 words. I check the crack with a 20x mag glass and there is no surface crack, it's below the surface. I wonder if it's caused by the difference in humidity from FL to dry So CA?? I have seen this before on other older poly guitars. I can't believe nobody has seen this before. Only really seen from certain angles.

Either way I could care less as there are no neck pocket finish cracks and at 22 years old she looks pretty nice!

I also tossed in a body shot? Before me, there was no shine on the body dull from thousands of little scratches.

750XL Cherry Sunburst
                        375DX Metallic black
                        Model 2 blue
                        Model 2 Red
                        Gibson Les Pauls
                        PRS SC-250

Comment

Working...
                        X