Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denatured alcohol and naptha interchangeable solvents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denatured alcohol and naptha interchangeable solvents?

Can denatured alcohol be used for the same applications as naptha? For example, cleaning raw and finished maple boards? Is it OK to use on lacquer as well as poly bodies and necks? How about cleaning a trem with it?

denatured alcohol (from when i've used it a few times) can act as a thinner, so i'd be careful. as far as for raw wood, i'm not really sure.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

From my experience, Sully is correct. Be very careful if using either denatured alcohol or Naptha on clear coats. It may "eat" through the clear coat on thinner sections.

Comment

The only thing Ive ever had alcohol attack was some plastics. Ive never had it damage and paint jobs, and thats all I use for cleaning grime and the like.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Alcohol is a solvent for lacquer, so it will melt it. The modern 2-part poly's are almost impervious to chemicals, so you can use either. Naptha is a safer choice. It doesnt harm any finish other than pure oils and removes dirt and oil just as good as alcohol.

Comment

I would keep denatured alcohol away from your fretboard since it could have been shellaced to lock in any stains or dies.

Comment

Go to WalMart and get some Naptha. It's just lighter fluid.

Comment

Man, I fucked up the finish on a vintage 1965 Fender Mustang using denatured alcohol. It didn't remove the paint, but it caused a "hazing" that I never was able to correct.
                "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                X