Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best "stuff" to clean rusty/dirty Floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best "stuff" to clean rusty/dirty Floyd?

What's everyone using to clean or restore dirty/nasty/rusty Floyd tremelos?

Preferably something available at Hell-Mart or Autozone...

I am not sure if you can get this product in the States but here in Canada the best degreaser-cleaner around has got to be Spray Nine.

Awesome general purpose degreaser that makes old metal parts look like new. I took apart a gold OFR a while back and it just restored it from maybe a 4 to an 8 out of 10.

http://www.spraynine.com/

Comment

WD-40 and a toothbrush.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

^^^^^ Yes
        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          WD-40 and a toothbrush.
          +1.
          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Preferably not the same one you intend to use for your mouth later!
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

WD40 is good for initial cleaning but it is designed to leave behind an oil film to maintain lubrication of moving parts. This is not ideal for a Floyd. The film can attract and hold dust and grime. I would suggest making sure the trem is free of oil residue if you choose to use WD40.

It is more important to wipe down everything after gigs or heavy use to keep gunk from building up and getting out of hand.

A little prevention goes a long way once you have it cleaned up and de-gunked.
              www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Originally posted by mustaine-who? View Post
                What's everyone using to clean or restore dirty/nasty/rusty Floyd tremelos?

Preferably something available at Hell-Mart or Autozone...
                :ROTF: Actually, I never seen one that wasn't pristine
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by slo100 View Post
                  WD40 is good for initial cleaning but it is designed to leave behind an oil film to maintain lubrication of moving parts. This is not ideal for a Floyd. The film can attract and hold dust and grime. I would suggest making sure the trem is free of oil residue if you choose to use WD40.

It is more important to wipe down everything after gigs or heavy use to keep gunk from building up and getting out of hand.

Good point. It's a very good idea to wipe it down well after.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Industrial 3-36 is the same thing as WD40 for those interested. Some make a "Light" 3-36 that leaves a dry film, but I've never tried it. It also costs less than WD-40, as you get double the amount for on average, only a dollar more.

Comment

Originally posted by slo100 View Post

I would also recommend alcohol or something similar to get the WD40 off the bottom of the saddles and the top of the plate. I used WD40 and then had trouble with the saddles slipping forward when I really pulled up on the trem bar. Others here don't seem to have this problem, but after I cleaned the saddles and plate with alcohol the slipping stopped. And I couldn't really see or feel a film, but it must have been there.

Comment

I use a product called Break Free it losens rusted parts and leaves a protective film.Do wipe it dry before putting it back together.
                        Another product that works great is TW-25B its a dry lube that bonds with the metal to leave a protective film that blocks rust, dust, dirt.Works on vintage nuts too slick as hell.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Axe Wax and a toothbrush,follow up with Windex.Iv'e done so many like that I get sick of thinking about it.

Comment

Working...
                          X