Removing finish from DK2M neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing finish from DK2M neck

I'm looking into using a DK2M neck for a project and if I do, I will want to remove the finish the back of the neck and fingerboard. I've read the thread here about removing the finish from a neck so I understand the nuts and bolts of it. In the case of the DK2M neck, I know I will need to tape off the neck and headstock binding when I take the finish off the back of the neck but how should I deal with the finish on the fingerboard itself? I'm concerned about messing up the sharktooth inlays. I'm sure they won't fare well after sanding the fingerboard.

Any and all advise is appreciated. Thank you.

?

Ruin a $250 neck?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      ?

Ruin a $250 neck?
      That's a matter of opinion. I don't like finished necks but on the other hand, I don't want to mess up the inlays either.

Comment

You're going to have to sand on the inlays unless you want raised sharkies on the unfinished maple (likewise with the binding).

Comment

Argh, I should have figured so much. Oh well, I'll have to examine other options. Thank you for in the info.

Comment

The finish isn't so thick as to leave the fins raised any noticeable amount. As well, they're large enough that if you did have a ridge you shouldn't notice them when fretting the string. As you get further up the neck to the smaller inlays, the frets are closer together so you would not feel those ridges either, if they exist at all.

If it makes you feel better, just scuff up the board rather than strip it completely. You get the same feel as bare sanded wood.

Though I must admit I've not noticed any problem with my DK2M neck's finish being sticky.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I totaly prefer an oiled neck but the satin finish on a DK2M is pretty close in feel. If it was me I would leave a DK2M neck alone. If the back started feeling sticky you can hit with the steel wool or beter yet micro mesh pads and take the sticky feeling off. Now if I was set on striping it and oiling it I would do it to the back of the neck only and leave the fretboard alone.

Comment

Now if I was set on striping it and oiling it I would do it to the back of the neck only and leave the fretboard alone.
                +1. If you want the oiled feel, it's from the back of the neck not the fretboard.

Comment

Working...
                X