Claw screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claw screw

Hey guys, I've got to replace one of the screws that hold the claw in. The guys at the guitar shop here in town said I should use wood glue and broken matchsticks in the hole when I replace it so the new screw is not loose when screwed in to the appropriate point.

Has anyone used this procedure and if so do I let the glue and matchsticks dry before using the screw or just slap it all in there at once.

Thanks

Ah yes, a little white or yellow wood glue and hardwood tooth picks (or match stick) will do the trick. Both methods have been used with success here on the forum (dry and not dry). I personally let the glue dry overnight, then drill a small pilot hole for the screw and thread it in.

If the hole is really worn out on a claw screw, I drill it at 1/8" or 3mm and use a 1/8" or 3mm hardwood dowel with some glue, drive it in, cut it off and let dry and redrill to the proper size for the screw.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks Bengal. One more question cos it's been a long time since high school woodwork, but I guess obviously if I fill it and let it dry, I should fill maybe 3/4 of the hole with glue and sticks? Or less?

Comment

Also is this an issue because of the type of screw and purpose it's fulfilling. Reason I ask is because I've been digging through some junk in the shed and found an identical screw from an old strat copy I had lying around except it's maybe 2/3mm shorter. I've partly screwed it in and seems no different to the replaced one.

I think I'll give a bash and see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
        X