Guitar paint shops...100% up front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar paint shops...100% up front?

OK I'm not going to name any names, but I've talked to or worked with most of the big players in the U.S. What's the deal with them getting paid 100% up front? Nobody gets that in other industries. I could understand 50% or so up front, on account of material costs. It's not like these guys have a great track record as far as meeting deadlines or not having issues. Why do we enable them and allow it?!? I demand reforms.

My own business practices only require a deposit.
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
      My own business practices only require a deposit.
      Excellent, that's good to know!

EDIT: Mike, I meant to add...I've got one of your D.O.C. Rhoads masterpieces, and you'd be #1 on my list for a high end custom refin project. However, many times I just need to get a parts mutt refinned in a solid color, and can only budget $350 or so. I guess you get what you pay for!
      Last edited by Axewielder; 05-14-2008, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I've been down that road before and I'm done with 100% up front. Once you send the guitar and pay for the whole job, you have no leverage and they have no motivation to get it done. Besides, if you pay half up front you've more than covered the cost of materials. It has been my experience that the majority of the cost of a good paint job is labor.

Comment

good point. i can say though, that from my experience in paying up front, marty bell had a sick turnaround time. two weeks from sent out to received back is worth the $260 i paid.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            Excellent, that's good to know!

EDIT: Mike, I meant to add...I've got one of your D.O.C. Rhoads masterpieces, and you'd be #1 on my list for a high end custom refin project. However, many times I just need to get a parts mutt refinned in a solid color, and can only budget $350 or so. I guess you get what you pay for!
            Thats about what I charge for solid. In some cases even less as I discount the foundation a bit if I am doing graphics. Love those D.O.C's.
            Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
            http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
              good point. i can say though, that from my experience in paying up front, marty bell had a sick turnaround time. two weeks from sent out to received back is worth the $260 i paid.

sully
              +1, and he sends you pictures before you pay.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

sully
                You sir have been lucky with your turn-around times whereas I have not. Both the Ibanezes I had refinished took around 5-6 months. While one instance had a delay that was understandable, the other had no such situation.

Since then I've learned there are plenty of folks out there that can do really high quality work for competitive/fair market prices in much less time. The Internet is a wonderful thing.

I'm working out the details of my build with Slash/Mojo Bodies which means I hope to have Mr. Learn put the icing on the cake so to speak. I'm just working out the details every day.

Comment

did marty do your refins? he advertises a very aggressive turnaround. gotta dig that.

what are you getting from mojo? i wonder if i got to see it last weekend.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

did marty do your refins? he advertises a very aggressive turnaround. gotta dig that.
                    No, he didn't but end results aside, I would have loved to have had them quicker then I did.

what are you getting from mojo? i wonder if i got to see it last weekend.sully
                    I've just been corresponding with Denny via e-mail to figure out all the details. I'm still a wee bit away from placing an order but I really like what he has to offer so I will be getting my body and neck from him.

Comment

Working...
                    X