Which body will fit a DK2T neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which body will fit a DK2T neck?

ok, I've had it with the annoying hum of my favourite DK2T. Yes, its still my fav. The other day, I disconnected all the electronics on the guitar except a mini toggle radioshack switch, bridge SD pup and the output jack. It still hums. My bandmate who has extensive wiring experience tried to wire the ground to different places, different configurations, no use. I have given up. I want to get rid of the guitar.

the other option would be if I can find a body that would take the 24 fret DK2T neck. Has anyone found a good body like a musickraft body or something that can take the neck? I dont want to try another Dk2T body since I think its crap! But the neck is still amazing!
    Sam

What kind of hum? Pickup hum should have nothing to do with the body... Try some sheilding paint or copper tape.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Sometimes you gotta get a professional involved. I can't see anyone charging too much for this kind of problem solving. It's probably something stupid like the insulated foil cable shielding making a connection with the bare wire used for the ground connections in the switch circuit. (Anyway I had a similar issue some time back and that's what I finally discovered after a lot of frustration. I feel your pain! ) It would be good to break out a multimeter and check for continuity in the various ground connections.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
        What kind of hum? Pickup hum should have nothing to do with the body... Try some sheilding paint or copper tape.
        Its the annoying 50 cycle hum. I have to set the noise gate really high on the gt-8 to make it go away. If I substitute with my bandmate's guitar, there is absolutely no hum. If I touch the switch, the sound goes away. i know its a ground issue but what else could it take other than a ground wire from underneath the bridge pup connecting with a terminal that is screwed to the body and one from the neck side of the two-way switch to the same terminal? I did try to shield the whole guitar with Dimarzio copper shielding. No use.

Aron, actually, I dont remember if I ever took it to a tech. I've had this guitar and issue for a year and just lived with it. But enough is enough! the thing is, I dont want a vol or tone pot. Just one vol kill switch and one pup. How hard can it be to wire? I honestly think the cavity is not shielded well. Like the metal paint they use is not good or something.
        Sam

Comment

What happens to the "hum" when you touch the output jack ?
          What SD pup ? How did you wire it (red/white/black/green/bare)

Try to connect the SD to the output jack (without the switch) !
          Swap the switch !

I agree with RobRR; that hum shouldn't have to do with the body !?!
          uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

if I touch the output jack, the hum is gone.

The SD pup is the SH4 TB stock pup. black wire i assume the hot. the bare and green are soldered together and I assume that's the ground.

I am connecting the black (hot) to one terminal of the 2 way switch and the green+bare to the other. So basically, when I select the bridge pup, there's output and if I select the neck pup, its grounded and it acts as a kill switch. the middle terminal of the 2 way switch goes to the hot of the o/p jack. then I connect the ground of the o/p jack to the terminal which has the green+bare. I finally connect the green+bare+ground of o/p jack to a wire which connects to a terminal that's screwed to the body. there is also a black wire coming from the pickup cavity to this screwed terminal.

I dont have the guitar with me since my bandmate was working on it over the weekend, but I think that;s pretty much what I connected the last time I worked with it.

I'll try to connect directly to the o/p jack. Havent tried that yet. Thanks Robrr, I will buy some shielding paint and paint the insides.
            Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
              if I touch the output jack, the hum is gone.

The SD pup is the SH4 TB stock pup. black wire i assume the hot. the bare and green are soldered together and I assume that's the ground.

I am connecting the black (hot) to one terminal of the 2 way switch and the green+bare to the other.
              So if I understand correctly, you just want to run that guitar with the bridge pickup kill-switched to the output jack ? No neck-pickup/volume/tone ?

Get a 2-way toggle switch (off/on), then solder the black wire from the SD to the first terminal and solder a connection from the second terminal to the hot spot of the output jack; if you use your 3-terminal 2-way toggle switch (on/on) use the middle terminal for the connection to the hot spot of the jack (and leave the third terminal blank) then solder all "grounds" together (bare/green from the SD - ground of the output jack - trem - body)

White/Red from the SD are soldered together and taped off !

That should work without a hum

Like this:
              Last edited by Franx; 05-14-2008, 03:33 AM.

Comment

That's

That's the proper way to do it...your ghetto special is causing your hum...

Plus...a new JB can be had off ebay for what...$50? Seems a lot cheaper than a new body...

Originally posted by Franx View Post
                So if I understand correctly, you just want to run that guitar with the bridge pickup kill-switched to the output jack ? No neck-pickup/volume/tone ?

Get a 2-way toggle switch (off/on), then solder the black wire from the SD to the first terminal and solder a connection from the second terminal to the hot spot of the output jack; if you use your 3-terminal 2-way toggle switch (on/on) use the middle terminal for the connection to the hot spot of the jack (and leave the third terminal blank) then solder all "grounds" together (bare/green from the SD - ground of the output jack - trem - body)

White/Red from the SD are soldered together and taped off !

That should work without a hum

Like this:

Comment

Franx, thanks for the pic. But, that's exactly how I've got it hooked up now. In addition, like I said, I'm connecting the green+bare+ground to the third terminal in the 2-way switch pictured above. if I dont do that, when I flip the switch, the empty terminal needs to be grounded or else it hums real loud.

mustaine, why would you think I need a new JB? Are these signs that my pickup is bad?
                  Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                    ... like I said, I'm connecting the green+bare+ground to the third terminal in the 2-way switch pictured above. if I dont do that, when I flip the switch, the empty terminal needs to be grounded or else it hums real loud...
                    That's kind of hard to believe ! I would say, NO GROUND on any terminal of the switch !!! (Except for a switch for splitting)

If you do it the way shown in the pic and it still hums, I'd go for a new switch (2-way/2-terminal), a new output jack, a new JB - along with new wiring - but I can't imagine the body to be the "culprit"

Comment

ok. I will give that a shot. Thanks Franx.
                      Sam

Comment

ok, I think I have finally fixed the problem. At least the multi-meter confirms it.

All it took was a wire going from the common ground to the TOM tail-piece. Usually, we have a ground wire which is connected from the common ground to the spring claw of a floyd. Since we are either touching the strings while playing or not playing, there is no hum. But the DK2T is a non-floating trem and that ground wire was missing. I have no idea how the humming problem is not there with my Sl2HT. I think its there, but very less compared to the Dk2T.

I verified with a multi-meter that there was no connectivity between the strings and say the vol pot. After the wire's put in place, its there.
                        Sam

Comment

To answer the title question: the DK2T neck will fit on a KVX10, Warrior, and any other 24-fret Jackson body.

It might be a tad snug on the V, but it works.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                          X