Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup wiring help needed (kinda urgent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup wiring help needed (kinda urgent)

Hey guys,

I just bought a Lace Drop & Gain humbucker set, but I need some advice here.
    My KV2 is currently setup with the stock SD pickups and I have a few questions concerning the current wiring.
    Should the ground solders on each pot & switch be connected? Because currently they are not.
    The master tone, switch ground solders are connected, but then this wire goes to one of the bridge volume connection points, which in turn is connected to the neck volume pot solder point. So in fact the bridge volume pot solder point is not connected to the rest of the components, only to the 2 SD's and the output jack wire.
    So the grounds currently go like this (all on ground solder except bridge volume):
    Floyd rose -> master tone -> switch -> bridge volume (one of the connection points, not the ground solder) -> neck volume
    And
    Output jack -> bridge volume -> pickup ground wires.
    According to the SD wiring diagrams (this one http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/su...h_2v_1t_3w.pdf) all the ground solders should be connected.

I hope this is somewhat clear to some of you, so the question is, is this correct? I do notice a lot of humming when I don't touch the strings with the current pickups. I want to be sure about this before I connect the Lace pickups.

Thanks

PS: I can take & post as many pics as you want if something's not clear.

Post some pictures.

It doesn't have to be connected just as long as it has a ground. Once they find a ground then they are connected even if they aren't "Physically" connected.

Here's mine I'm working on

Last edited by JetFixxxer; 05-12-2008, 12:31 PM.
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Here are some pics. The cavity is a mess however, so they're not very clear
      http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/SlasZ/Wiring/

Comment

Fuck I just tried and the Lace pickups are too big for the pickup cavity
        It's only like half a mm on each corner, is this easy to fix and how do I go about doing it? I guess I'll have to cut some of the wood away?
        Pics:

Last edited by SlasZ; 05-12-2008, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I would take some sand paper and remove the 1mm of wood or even a round file.

I would also wiring as per the SD schematic. You can't go wrong and you will have everything grounded.
          Last edited by JetFixxxer; 05-12-2008, 01:10 PM.
          2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
          2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
          2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
          2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
          2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
          2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
          2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
          2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
          2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
          1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
          1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Originally posted by JetFixxxer View Post
            I would take some sand paper and remove the 1mm of wood or even a round file.

I would also wiring as per the SD schematic. You can't go wrong and you will have everything grounded.
            Ok, thanks for the help. I'll let u know how it goes

Comment

Well I did it, and quite proud of myself
              I couldn't get rid of the humming/static noises, I guess I'll have to get it serviced properly somewhere.
              Here's the result:

I actually like the uncovered pots, comes out nice with the gold Lace letters. I might put some gold hardware on it

Comment

Why would you remove wood from the guitar when you could have removed some plastic from the pickup? Just a light sand paper on the edges of the plastic would have removed enough to fit.
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                  Why would you remove wood from the guitar when you could have removed some plastic from the pickup? Just a light sand paper on the edges of the plastic would have removed enough to fit.
                  That's what I did actually.

Comment

Working...
                  X