Recommend me an EMG single coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me an EMG single coil

I have an ESP M-II which is a monster player, but has some bland stock ESP pickups. I'd like to build a poor-man's Metallica/KH2 guitar. Of course, an EMG 81 is going in the bridge. With this being an H-slanted S config and not H-H, what active EMG single coil would work well with the theme of this guitar?

Well, there's only two of them — the S and the SA. The S is slightly brighter. But neither one is really powerful enogh to balance well with the 81. Serious volume drop switching between them. Unless you've got the 81 dialed way down, which defeats the purpose.
    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Originally posted by necrotechno View Post
      Well, there's only two of them — the S and the SA. The S is slightly brighter. But neither one is really powerful enogh to balance well with the 81. Serious volume drop switching between them. Unless you've got the 81 dialed way down, which defeats the purpose.
      Hmmm....well I just found this:

http://www.emginc.com/displayproduct...&catalogid=106

They are pimping a "kirk hammett" loaded pickguard that mates the 81 with two S's. I guess that's as good as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by necrotechno View Post
        Well, there's only two of them — the S and the SA.
        ......nope, there's more:

SV
        http://www.emginc.com/displayproduct...7&catalogid=48

SAV
        http://www.emginc.com/displayproduct...7&catalogid=49

I have an SV in the neck position in my custom Jackson Fusion with an 89 in the bridge. They work very well together.

Comment

Ive got a couple SA's and they are pretty weak when switching from an 81/85-89. Sound ok but not enough output and a bit muddy.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I forgot about the versions with exposed polepieces (the SV and SAV), and I don't know their specs. I used to have the H (the S in a humbucker housing) and 81 in my KV-Pro, and the volume difference between the two was unworkable for me.
            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I had a soloist that had an 81 and a HI model single no vol drop at all switching between them.I see them on Ebay from time to time.
              I've been saving an old 81 in hopes of finding an HI to go with it.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I got around the volume drop issue on my 650xl by hooking up an SPC control to the SA in the neck. It works well with the 89 in the bridge.
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I've tried the SA as well as an SLV in my 650xl (85 in bridge), and was very disappointed with both. I found them to be rather weak and flat, although the SLV seemed to have a bit fuller tone.
                  I'm waiting for the new Seymour Duncan Blackout AS-1 that's coming out soon in a single version and is supposed to be quite powerful. Supposedly, it has a jumper that can be removed for a less aggressive sound, in case someone needs that.
                  If they're any good, I'd like to put a couple of the AS-1's in my SL1 as well, which already has a Blackout humbucker in the bridge position.

Comment

Originally posted by 37fiat View Post
                    I'm waiting for the new Seymour Duncan Blackout AS-1 that's coming out soon in a single version and is supposed to be quite powerful. Supposedly, it has a jumper that can be removed for a less aggressive sound, in case someone needs that.
                    Interesting, I may have to wait until the reviews start coming in on those!

Comment

Also, how do EMG's and Blackouts sounds widey-ass open? In other words, this guitar doesn't have a tone knob. It's not a big deal, I can always put a 25 K-ohm resistor and cap in the control cavity.

Comment

I don't have a tone control on most of my EMG equipped guitars, nor on the SL1 with the Blackout.
                        The Blackout seems to be a little fuller, a bit less sterile than the EMG's. It's also quieter, meaning picks up very little to no interference from outside sources such as a computer monitor. On the other hand, the EMG's seem to have a bit of "edge" that
                        I found a little lacking in the Blackouts.
                        I had installed a set of Blackouts into my new RR1 a few days ago, replacing the stock Seymour Duncan's, but after an hour or so of playing, I felt it just wasn't right for that guitar, so I tried the old favorite, and stuck an EMG 85 in the bridge and an 81 in the neck. It worked out very, very well.
                        I have that combination in two other guitars, (KV2, Archtop Pro) and none of them sound quite the same, but they all kick ass!
                        I will try to install the Blackouts in my other KV2 to see if they work in there.
                        They're really good pickups, so I hope they'll work in that one.
                        I like actives!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X