Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup for my Soloist pro, Help

I'm sure this has been beaten to death but didn't find what I needed
    I have a MIJ soloist Professional, I tried the same pickup as in my Charvel 550xl which is a parallel axis distortion and it sounds too thin, then a Duncan Blackout, same result!
    The guitar is very bright so I went to the Duncan website and they suggest a TB11 Custom custom for poplar bodied guitars, any one use it in there soloist?
    Any suggestion on a pickup to try? I play Metal so I like a powerful pickup
    Thanks

A CC supposed to give an EVH kind of tone (there are more specific models). I think it's what they'd suggest for you on the SD forums.

Besides that, you could try an Invader. Nothing darker I think.

And regarding the need to have a powerful pickup for Metal, I don't think so. I play nothing but Metal perfectly fine with my Les Paul Historic (Burstbucker 2 in the bridge). It's a matter of getting the right pickup for the axe, that works with the amp and speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      A CC supposed to give an EVH kind of tone (there are more specific models). I think it's what they'd suggest for you on the SD forums.

Besides that, you could try an Invader. Nothing darker I think.

And regarding the need to have a powerful pickup for Metal, I don't think so. I play nothing but Metal perfectly fine with my Les Paul Historic (Burstbucker 2 in the bridge). It's a matter of getting the right pickup for the axe, that works with the amp and speakers.
      That's true, I know I've had some pickups that had good tone but just sounded weak and didn't drive the amp well, I don't like to boost the front end of the amp with a pedal I guess.

Comment

I have a Custom in my Model 6, which has the same woods (except rosewood vs. ebony board), and I love it. The Custom Custom might also be a good choice. I also agree w/ Don about pickup output. It all depends on your rig.

-edit- After thinking about this for a minute, the ebony board may be the rerason why the same pickup that sounds great in the 550XL doesn't in the Soloist Pro, since the 550 also has poplar wings. Does Duncan take fretboard wood into account in their recommendations? Seems like they should. It's a bigger factor than a lot of people realize. I still think a Custom would be worth a try, though.
        Last edited by dg; 05-03-2008, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks DG, Yeah Duncan talks about the fretboard also and your right it makes a difference , this guitar is not dark like the 550xl
          I am a Duncan fan forever but I might try a Dimarzio tone zone I hear so much about
          I put the Blackout in my Schecter Hellraiser and I like it there.
          I'm going to buy a Framus Cobra soon so my rig will change a bit!!

Comment

I have a Full Shred in my Soloist Pro and love the string definition. Very tight for palm muting, and no low-end mud, but it is fairly bright. For a more balanced tone out of a bright guitar, the Invader has worked well for me.
            sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you need a tonezone.

Comment

Try

Try a Black Out neck in the bridge...thicker and more organic than the bridge model...

Comment

Originally posted by metalone View Post
                  That's true, I know I've had some pickups that had good tone but just sounded weak and didn't drive the amp well, I don't like to boost the front end of the amp with a pedal I guess.

That makes no sense. You're looking for a pickup that's basically going to do the same thing - boost the input signal of the amp.

Plus you're getting a totally different amp "soon"?

Basically, you have 2 choices:

1: Wait till you get your amp and tweak it to suit your current pickup.

2: Pick a pickup you like and play it through multiple amps till you find the amp you want.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                  X