PC1 Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC1 Setup

I just purchased a new PC1. It's my understanding that very low action is achievable. Right now, the action is too high for my liking. I already adjusted the bridge as low as possible without buzzing. Is it possible that the truss rod needs adjusting? Would it make that much difference?

I have a few days to decide if I like the guitar or I can return it. I also don't like the heavy strings.

Would it be worth it to have the guitar professionally setup with 0.10 - 0.46 strings before I make a decision? Does anybody with a PC1 use those sizes?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Would it make that much difference
    yes. Where did you buy it from? for the money you paid you should have gotten a good setup for free. Since it comes with 10's(yes the heavier set though) I doubt changing the strings will change your mind.
    That's just me and no I don't have a PC1

Comment

i have 2 PC-1s and have had both for a couple or more years now. they are hard to set up (at least mine were/are). i prefer higher action, but keeping the neck straight seems a bigger issue. the quilted fretboard seems to move a lot (i could be wrong, but this SEEMS to be the issue). i have to adjust the truss rod on both every couple of months to keep the relief where i like it.

i have 9's on both of mine and both guitars kinda fought the smaller gauge. it should take the 10's without issue since it comes from the factory set-up with 10's.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        yes. Where did you buy it from? for the money you paid you should have gotten a good setup for free. Since it comes with 10's(yes the heavier set though) I doubt changing the strings will change your mind.
        That's just me and no I don't have a PC1
        +1 One of Jackson's finest guitars. If you bought it locally, they should set it up to your specs. If not, I'd have a good shop do it if your not comfortable doing yourself. I have 1 setup with 9's at standard tuning and one with 11's tuned one step down. Both, have very low action. I do all my own setups. 10's would be ideal.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I have 9's on my PC1 and a low action is very achievable. Your truss rod might need to be tweaked a bit.

Those "heavy strings" you're talking about are in fact 10's. That's what the guitar ships with.

You should have gotten a free setup when you bought it.
          -Rick

Comment

Original string gauge as shipped is the 'bottom heavy' 10-52. As others have said 10-46 would work well as does 9-42 like mine and others (with the cooresponding trus rod adjustment for the different gauge). I've found most guitars ship with too much neck relief, and it sounds like yours probably has too much. Check it like this (taken from Tom Anderson's website):
            CHECKING NECK & ADJUSTING

1. Make sure instrument is tuned to the proper pitch. Hold it in playing position.

2. Simultaneously fret the G-string on the 1st fret (left-hand index finger) and 15th fret (right hand thumb).

3. Check the amount of clearance between the bottom of the string and the top of the 7th fret. (While still using right hand thumb to hold the string at the 15th fret, you can use the index finger to lightly tap at the 7th fret to more clearly see the gap). There should be approximately .003 to .006 inches-that is about the thickness of a business card.

4. If the gap is too large, tighten the truss rod (clockwise). If the gap is too little, loosen the truss rod (counter-clockwise).

Comment

Working...
            X