Any Electrical Engineers in da house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Electrical Engineers in da house?

When I first started to do all my own electronic work all the grounds boggled my mind. Why doesn't guitar electronics have one ground point. So instead of grounding everything back to the pot. Why not ground pot to pot then ground and everything tie into that ground point.
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

I haven't wired a guitar in some time, but don't they all go to a central ground, and then to the ground tab on the output jack?

Comment

Basically, because it's very easy to wire all the grounds from the pickups right to the pots. All of the pots are grounded together, basically, to complete the circuit. Having one central ground is what you have with the pots. It's real easy then to send the one ground wire from the pot right to the output jack.
      Guitars:
      Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
      1988 Model 2,
      Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
      RR3
      Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
      2005 SG Special

Comment

He has a point.
        I play with tube amps and have a better understanding of what is going on with various ground levels, than most of the guitar schematics I've seen.
        I don't get creative with control cavities. I just go by the schematics.

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
          I haven't wired a guitar in some time, but don't they all go to a central ground, and then to the ground tab on the output jack?
          Yes.

You know what .. I have no clue what the fuck I was going with this. I only know each time when I wire my guitars I'm always shaking my head and ask why the hell do I need this wire here when it's making ground over here.

Basically, because it's very easy to wire all the grounds from the pickups right to the pots. All of the pots are grounded together, basically, to complete the circuit. Having one central ground is what you have with the pots. It's real easy then to send the one ground wire from the pot right to the output jack.
          I have a good concept on how circuits work.... I love troubleshooting aircraft electrical system.. or any electrical system. Why use copper tape for the cavity and then install your pots.. at this point will become ground and then have a TB for all the other grounds. The circuit will be complete.
          Last edited by JetFixxxer; 04-27-2008, 08:19 PM.
          2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
          2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
          2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
          2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
          2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
          2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
          2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
          2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
          2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
          1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
          1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

I usually ask Budman to make me grounding plates. That is so much cleaner and easier than connecting all the pots with wires and solder.

Comment

Working...
            X