Wiring problem in Epiphone Gothic Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring problem in Epiphone Gothic Explorer

I've been given a guitar to fix by a co-worker. This thing's wiring is very odd. It's a Epiphone Gothic Explorer and I thought the wiring should work in the same way as other Epiphones, Giblsons with 2 hums, 2 vols, a tone and a 3 way switch.

The signal tends to fade in and out, so you get volume swells and drops, I thought it might be a capacitor or something, but the only one on the guitar is soldered to the tone pot. I've checked the jack plug and there is a little ware on it but and it does crackle a bit when the cable is moved. The oddest thing I found though was the neck pickup is selected there seems to be a signal coming from the bridge pickup. Turning the neck volume down to zero and turing the bridge pickup volume down removes this signal. When the wrong volume control (if you know what I mean) is at full it's present but at zero it disappears. It also exhibits the same behaviour with the bridge pickup selected, so when that volume is all the way down the neck volume adds or cuts this extra signal.

Anybody our there have any guidance, ideas? Or are these bloody things supposed to be like this?
    Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

My advice would be to try replacing the switch first, as that is what it sounds like; it may be sticking or the contacts could be worn out, causing the issue. I had it happen on a Washburn I owned about a year ago.

Comment

Working...
    X