Floyd nut w/ a JT590?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd nut w/ a JT590?

I've got a Charvel Predator w/ a JT590 trem. I like a bit more fret margin on my fretboards, and was wondering...can a standard Floyd R3/R4 nut be used as a drop-in replacement on those? I understand that Floyd nuts are a bit taller than some J/C licensed nuts. I assume that the stock nut is like an R4, I'd like to try a narrower R3 on there. The high E likes to slip off the fretboard up near frets 2 - 5, while the low E is pretty much where it should be.

It's always a crap shoot. I had a lot of trouble getting the correct height. I resorted to filing down the nut.

I did get lucky with an old R2 nut being the right height, but then I sacraficed on the width.

Comment

R2 is shorter with a more narrow string spacing - 1 5/8 nut to 1.650 nut.
      R3 is taller with almost the same string spacing as the R2 - 1 11/16 nut.
      R4 is as tall as the R3 but with wider string spacing. feels real wide (like the model series) - 1 11/16 nut.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Just shim the existing one.
        get some shim plates from AllParts... http://www.allparts.com/store/nuts-s...01,Product.asp
        -Rick

Comment

I am virtually certain that the Predator had an R3 nut as stock. At least USA Jacksons and Pros of the day did. They all used Floyd Rose R3 nut as standard.
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
            I am virtually certain that the Predator had an R3 nut as stock. At least USA Jacksons and Pros of the day did. They all used Floyd Rose R3 nut as standard.
            When I searched the forum earlier, I read that necks with bindings had R3 nuts, and necks without had R4 nuts. Mine of course does not have a binding.

Comment

Have you pulled the Predator's nut off to see what is stamped underneath?

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                Have you pulled the Predator's nut off to see what is stamped underneath?
                I'll check that later this week when I get around to working on it.

Comment

R 3= no binding.
                  R 4 = with binding.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    R 3= no binding.
                    R 4 = with binding.
                    I have not found that to be the case with any of my Charvels or Jacksons. Most are bound necks and they all have R3 stock nuts.

Comment

Well my 87 and 89 Jacksons(non bound) have the R-3 and my92 fusion(bound)has an R-4.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

OK, but I bet it was added later. I have come across almost 20 Fusions in my days of collecting and all have the R3 nut. As do all Soloists, Warriors, Rhoads, and Dinkys of the same.

Comment

I fail to see the reason why they'd put different nuts on bound and unbound fretboards (unless they'd want to create a difference in feel between them (which just would've been a really really weird thing to do)), but I have zero knowledge/experience of this.

Comment

Well in case anyone cares, I just popped the nut off that bone stock Predator of mine, and it says "R4 Made In Germany" on the bottom.

Comment

UPDATE! I bought a new original Floyd R3 nut off the bay, and it arrived today. The OFR R3 nut and the JT590 original R4 nut looked to be identical as far as the height, angle, screw location, and markings go. Obviously the string spacing is different. I dropped the R3 on there and it fixed my fret margin issue, and she plays beautifully now. Sweet!

Comment

Working...
                              X