Blocking the trem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking the trem.

Hello. I have a japanese DK2. Since -due to certain circumstances- it is the only electric guitar I presently own, and I want or indeed need to use different tunings (E, drop-D, ocasionally Eb, D and drop-C) I'd like suggestions on blocking the trem. A couple of guys I know have done so and while trustworthy in most respects, they, as I, are better playing than practically anything else that has to do with guitars (except changing strings maybe ). They went for a method that's quick, easy and reversible (I mean quickly and easily reversible too), but I'd like to know if it is recommendable. It's one you surely know well: simply placing properly cut blocks of wood on either or both sides of the in the cavity.

it's probably the most common method. You can use anything that will stay stable there

Sınce you only want to keep the trem from moving. There has been discussions about whether the material you use while blocking the trem affects the tone or sustain but I'm guessing it's minor if there's any effect

You can also use something like a tremol-no. If you google it or use the search function you can find lots of info!

Btw, be sure to post pics of your Dk-2 sometime
    Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Wood works just fine for blocking the trem.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Slightly tapered blocks of wood work the best.
        The harder, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
          Slightly tapered blocks of wood work the best.
          The harder, the better.

agreed.

Hard wood. Both sides... !

Comment

Thank you all! I'll get started then.

And, sure, I'll post some pics soon.

Comment

Working...
            X