Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bareknuckle Warpigs (Ceramic)

Anyone use(d) those pickups?
    I'm sure they're good pickups (they cost enough anyway ), but would they fit my style of playing, which is fast death metal in B on an Uberschall?
    I currently have the stock SD's on my KV-2 (JB TB4 I guess), but I'd like to change them. Don't know why but they don't sound as tight as I would want them. Any opinions on other pickups?

The problem I had was that it seemed like it was tweaked to try and achieve that one tone, of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs." Getting other sounds out of it was a fight. Gibson's Iommi sig model pickup is far more versatile.

I also really dig Lace's Drop & Gain set. Probably my favorite humbuckers right now.

APC's Persuader and Persuader Lead (or Persuader Lead Custom for more bass) are definitely worth the effort of going to a boutique builder. I've got those in my KV-2 (and the PLC in an all-Maple Collen Archtop).

Stan Hinesley makes some great pickups, although I've only tried the Rogue (Alnico-8) set. The Drop Zone/Hellion combo has been gaining a lot of popularity with Death Metal players recently.
    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Best pickup ever....A must!! no joke,everything you heard and read about this pickup is true,Amazing!!!!i love the vhII as well,my two favorite pickups right now...

Comment

Originally posted by necrotechno View Post
        The problem I had was that it seemed like it was tweaked to try and achieve that one tone, of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs." Getting other sounds out of it was a fight. Gibson's Iommi sig model pickup is far more versatile.

I also really dig Lace's Drop & Gain set. Probably my favorite humbuckers right now.

APC's Persuader and Persuader Lead (or Persuader Lead Custom for more bass) are definitely worth the effort of going to a boutique builder. I've got those in my KV-2 (and the PLC in an all-Maple Collen Archtop).

Stan Hinesley makes some great pickups, although I've only tried the Rogue (Alnico-8) set. The Drop Zone/Hellion combo has been gaining a lot of popularity with Death Metal players recently.
        Thanks but I must say I never heard about any of those pickups
        Are they easy to get in Europe?

Comment

You should be able to find something nice and tight from Duncan or Dimarzio for far less money.

I think a Dimarzio Evolution could be right for you, hot, clear and tight.

And i have my doubts about using a pickup with "Monstrous bass response" (according to the Bare Knuckle website) for playing in B, might be a bit overwhelming?
          Last edited by rocksoldier; 04-20-2008, 07:42 AM.

Comment

That man is onto it. The D&G is what you want for low-tuned death metal..
            Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

Originally posted by XxKilgannonxX View Post
              That man is onto it. The D&G is what you want for low-tuned death metal..
              Cool I'll look into them.
              Always a problem choosing pickups because you're never sure how they will sound exactly until you install them

Comment

Originally posted by rocksoldier View Post
                You should be able to find something nice and tight from Duncan or Dimarzio for far less money.
                Y'know, I still have not gotten that darn D-Activator set!

Hmmm... what could I possibly put them in...?

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
                  Thanks but I must say I never heard about any of those pickups
                  Are they easy to get in Europe?
                  These are the places I got mine:

Iommi:
                  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...kup?sku=360939
                  (although I'd guess any Gibson dealer could get this pickup)

Lace D&G:
                  http://www.aampselectricguitarstore....drop_gain.html
                  (their website is www.agi-lace.com
                  a list of international distributors can be found at http://lacemusic.com/dealers/dealers.php)

Looks like APC's new(er) site has shit the bed:
                  http://www.adderpluspickups.com/
                  So I guess you'd have to contact them directly to get their products. Which was a bit of a headache when I had them make mine, but I feel it was worth the wait.

Stan Hinesley:
                  http://www.has-sound.com/pickups.htm
                  Lots of other cool, useful tone circuits on his site.

Comment

Great man, thanks

Comment

Well I ordered a set op Lace Drop & Gains, I'll let you know when it arrives & installed. I'll prolly do a comparison before & after

Although I'm still not sure how a set of 2 identical pickups would be better. It's not like they are both used if you switch to the bridge pickup or does it still matter?

Comment

They're not the same pickup. They're a calibrated set. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Comment

They're not the same pickup. They're a calibrated set. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
                          Ok, I'll let you know

Comment

Dont turn your amp up too loud when you just install them...

People might die...
                            Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

Originally posted by XxKilgannonxX View Post
                              Dont turn your amp up too loud when you just install them...

People might die...
                              Petrucci does this every gig, but he plays 5 million notes per second. I'll be playing at 5 million watts!

Comment

Working...
                              X