Do I have to much neck relief??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to much neck relief??

I really like strait necks, bad memories of cheap banana neck guitars when I was a kid. So anyhow, I am looking at the neck of my 750xl, it's got some slight relief, when I fret the first and last fret my feeler gauge is at .010-.12 measured at the 5 and 6ths frets?

I did adjust the truss rod about 1/8th of a turn, how long should I wait to review my progress.

The action height measure just over a 1/16" at the 12th fret on the low E string.
    750XL Cherry Sunburst
    375DX Metallic black
    Model 2 blue
    Model 2 Red
    USA Candy Apple Red San Dimas
    USA Slime Green San Dimas
    MIJ ProMod Candy Blue San Dimas
    Gibson Les Pauls
    PRS SC-250

The relief is what you like... I would adjust the truss rod, tune, and wait 24 hours or so. I set my Les Paul relief to .012 and my Strats and Teles to .010.. As far as my Jackson I like them .008 or straight.
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Wait a day.

Get Dan Erlewine's book before you do some damage....

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        Wait a day.

Get Dan Erlewine's book before you do some damage....
        and do a google search for neck relief there are many websites out there that will guide you through it safely.

Remember a little does a lot.
        2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
        2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
        2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
        2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
        2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
        2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
        2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
        2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
        2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
        1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
        1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

I've always used the mental gauge the thickness of a business card. At the 5 through 7th frets when pressing the 6th string down at the first and last frets. Not sure what that measurement actually is. But its always worked for me.
          Gil

Comment

Wow, you guys get real techical with it I just go off of feel and sighting down the board. I dont measure shit. lol

When I recently setup my SL1 I did the following: Adjusted the truss so the neck was as straight as possible, then let it sit over night.

The next day I adjusted the bridge so the action from fret 12 to 24 was where I wanted it, and then adjusted the nut to match for the lower frets. Remember, if the nut is too low then you'll have to set the bridge higher so the notes dont fret out. To really do the setup right you need to make sure that the strings are the same height at both ends.

The trick is to do very small adjustments at a time. If you know how you want it to feel before you even start out then you'll have a goal. Otherwise you're just shooting at a moving target you can't even see

I have no idea what the measurements are on my action, but the guitar plays awesome, and that's what I care about.

-Steve
            Last edited by UFORocks; 04-19-2008, 08:30 PM.
            Guitars:
            '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
            '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
            '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
            Amp:
            VOX AD30VT

Comment

Well I want a straight neck, I will adjust a little more tomorrow.
              750XL Cherry Sunburst
              375DX Metallic black
              Model 2 blue
              Model 2 Red
              Gibson Les Pauls
              PRS SC-250

Comment

Jackson on their trem guitars set the neck as straight as possible.I use a small ruler to set mine for height I marked it where I like it and thats about .008 at the last fret.
                I don't get too technical each guitar is different and each customer has their likes and dislikes so I go by how the guitar plays after the set up and adjust from that base point.
                Last edited by straycat; 04-19-2008, 09:00 PM.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Well, moved the truss nut about a quarter turn, 1/8 then waited 24 hours then another 1/8 turn. It helped but I am going to wait a couple weeks to see if I get any more movement, this neck has not been adjusted since it left the the factory 19 years ago.
                  750XL Cherry Sunburst
                  375DX Metallic black
                  Model 2 blue
                  Model 2 Red
                  Gibson Les Pauls
                  PRS SC-250

Comment

Wow, i've never had to turn one that much. If you're not seeing any improvement then it could be warped. If the rod gets hard to turn then dont force it. At this point I'd take it to a luthier.
                    Guitars:
                    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                    Amp:
                    VOX AD30VT

Comment

I did see some improvement, as far as hard to turn?? not sure it did not seem too hard. The neck in not warped or twisted, it looks the same on each side and the bridge is level. Also, when I an talking 1/4 turn, I mean I moved the mark I put on the nut from 6 o'clock to 8:30 if that makes sense.
                      Last edited by titan7; 04-20-2008, 11:25 PM.
                      750XL Cherry Sunburst
                      375DX Metallic black
                      Model 2 blue
                      Model 2 Red
                      Gibson Les Pauls
                      PRS SC-250

Comment

Here is my rule of thumb with neck relief: First, set your action. In general, the lower the action, the straighter you will need your neck. Then see how much relief, using a .01 feeler gauge as a guide. .01 is an ideal medium for relief, so go from there. You measure it, put a capo on your first fret, press down the low E on the 14th, and measure above the actual ninth metal fret. Be sure to do this in playing position to get an accurate reading.

You want to get just enough relief in the neck the action is smooth, low and practically buzz free. First adjustment make a 1/4th turn, and wait overnight or about 8 hours. Then make slow, small adjustments. If you need to go more than another quarter turn; the guitar has not been adjusted in a LONG time, or the neck is warped. Once you have your relief about where you want it (and eyeballing doesn't hurt), recheck your action, make sure it intonates, and finally replace the truss rod cover.

I have used this method on all my guitars, and I would say it's pretty much "no fail" unless you do something out of order.
                        Last edited by CharvelRocker; 04-21-2008, 08:57 PM. Reason: I meant the 14th fret, and just caught the typo, sorry

Comment

thanks!
                          750XL Cherry Sunburst
                          375DX Metallic black
                          Model 2 blue
                          Model 2 Red
                          Gibson Les Pauls
                          PRS SC-250

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
                            Wow, you guys get real techical with it I just go off of feel and sighting down the board. I dont measure shit. lol

When I recently setup my SL1 I did the following: Adjusted the truss so the neck was as straight as possible, then let it sit over night.

The next day I adjusted the bridge so the action from fret 12 to 24 was where I wanted it, and then adjusted the nut to match for the lower frets. Remember, if the nut is too low then you'll have to set the bridge higher so the notes dont fret out. To really do the setup right you need to make sure that the strings are the same height at both ends.

The trick is to do very small adjustments at a time. If you know how you want it to feel before you even start out then you'll have a goal. Otherwise you're just shooting at a moving target you can't even see

I have no idea what the measurements are on my action, but the guitar plays awesome, and that's what I care about.

-Steve
                            Thats my method as well. Maybe we should write a tech manual
                            I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X