Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locking Tuners, yes or no and if so which?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking Tuners, yes or no and if so which?

Thinking of replacing the standard tuners on a few of my Jacksons. Looking at gold Sperzels for the RR5. I don't use Floyd or vintage trems only fixed bridge styles.

How many of you guys use locking tuners, and if so, which ones?

Which models would you get for a reverse headstock?

Locking nut guys don't count of course!
    Last edited by KISSKommando; 04-18-2008, 09:34 AM.

If you want direct drop-in replacements. Planet Waves or Schaller will fit and have the right screw-tab angle. There was a thread recently about this. IIRC, Shreddermon found that only Warmoth had the Schallers with the correct tab. Even though the model # is the same, some are tabless. I think he also said that Planet Waves didn't have all gold. They were Gold/Black, which may or may not suit you.

Here's that thread w/ the links:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...+waves+locking
    Last edited by dg; 04-18-2008, 10:25 AM.

Comment

if you have a locking tremolo system and still plan on using the locknut, there is no point in investing in locking tuners.

for standard bridges, and v-trems they are well worth it. and almost all of the differnt versions are good. lately i've been a big fan of all things Gotoh. and they have a new Magnum locking tuner.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        IIRC, Shreddermon found that only Warmoth had the Schallers with the correct tab. Even though the model # is the same, some are tabless.
        Sorrry bro, that only works with Y2KVs, which had Schaller (non-locking) tuners to begin with. So the locking Schallers are drop-in replacements for the non-locking Schallers. (...And, yes, only Warmoth had the versions with the correct screw tab placement - apparently Schaller makes different versions of the locking tuners. )

Not sure what would be drop-in replacements for the standard Jackson Gotohs. I tried the Gotoh "Magnum-locks" on my old KE2T, but even they didn't work. (The shaft is wider on the locking version, so it would've required reaming out the post holes to fit.)

IIRC, some folks have said that Sperzel locking tuners will fit. But they have a placement pin that holds the tuner in place. So you'd have to pull in pin (which contributes to the tuner's stability) and would still have the empty screw hole there.

I just really wish all non-trem Jacksons would come with locking tuners standard! Jackson is definitely behind the times vs. competitors on that one.

Comment

I like locking tuners, even with a locking nut just for the ease of restringing.

Comment

Yup. And Planet Waves have the string cutter. I've had issues with USA Jackson headstocks being too thick for the PW's to just drop in (so I modded the headstocks to make them work), but the imports — RR5, for example — have thinner headstocks for some reason, and work fine.
            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Planet waves tuners user here

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64505
              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I have Sperzels on two of my Jacksons, but as was already stated, they aren't drop-in replacements. I haven't tried Schaller or Planet Waves, but I have one Jackson with Wilkinson EZ-LOK tuners from GuitarFetish.Com that are basically an exact fit. I say "basically" because the screws end up going in at a slight angle, and I'd bet that the clearance of the tuning peg on the front wouldn't be enough for heavy-guage strings to fit through on the bass side.
                sigpic

Comment

Those EZ-Lok things are weird. I've got them on my Charvel 625C acoustic. They basically work, but I don't think I'd want to use them on anything more serious than that.

The only issues I've ever had with the PW's (besides aesthics) are the aforementioned compatibility with some headstock thicknesses, and that the wound-G slipped loose on a guitar I strung with flatwounds. I'd imagine that would be a problem with any of that style locking tuner. I gave it some additional slack (about an inch) on the next string change and it was fine.

Comment

I installed a set of the new Gotoh Magnums on my Charvel Model 7 and they are direct drop-in replacements. I didn't even have to redrill new screw holes, as these tuners are the same size and shape as the stock Jackson-Gotoh tuners.

Comment

I am wanting to get a set for my DKMGT, but without knowing if they will fit or not I hate to order online and keep sending the stupid things back. I dont necessarily want to drive to KC 70 miles one way to find out either. I guess either I need to do some online research or make a few calls first.
                      Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

I've got them all, Gotoh Magnums, Planet Waves, Schallers, Grover's and Sperzels on various Jacksons and Charvels. My favorite are the Sperzels. If you don't mind the old hole from the Jackson "ear" tuners showing, I'd go with Sperzels. The 6 inline tuners also have a graduated height, so they really "hug" the headstock. For guitars without locking nuts, the string tree is eliminated. When Jackson and Fender build the Custom Shop special's they usually choose Sperzels. Also, the location pin need not be removed from the Sperzels. It a 5/64" diameter hole (from what I remember) that you drill in the headstock next to the through hole and is covered by the tuner. The template and instructions are included with the Sperzel tuners.
                        Just to clarify the pin removal:
                        If at some time you may want to back to another type of tuner, you can skip the drilling of the locator hole and pull the roll pin out before you install the Sperzels. Then, no drilling of the headstock is required.

Another note: Most tuner holes drilled these days are 10mm or 3/8", unless the headstock is using vintage type tuners. Warmoth is a good site to compare the various sizes of tuner holes offered on necks.
                        If you go to the StewMac site, you can see the drawings of each of the tuner's dimension wise for information.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I have Schaller's on my strat. They work well and were only $50 new from Warmoth

Comment

I've got them all as well. That's really the best advice I can give, is try them all for yourself. A set of of each — Sperzels, Planet Waves, Schallers, Gotoh, Grover, Schaller top-locking, Wilkinson EZ-Loks, Steinberger Gearless, LSR's — will likely set you back around $500 (priced new). But it's a valuable lesson to learn that there are options out there to make your tuning more stable, and string changes faster and easier.

Comment

Schaller lover here.
                              Had Spertzel's and hated them.
                              Actually, you may want to look at the Steinberger Gearless. They seem to be fairly indestructible.
                              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
                              X