Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tremolo hardware re paint re plate?

Hi all

I am soon to buy a Jackson soloist (early 90's) and it is in average condition.

The main thing is that the finish on the trem is well worn (you can see the copper coloured plating under where the black finish has worn through).

What do people do about this? paint ot or is it possible to get them re plated?

I am in th UK. Anyone kno what the going rate is for a soloist? It has H S S, three volume knobs, thru neck and active Jackson pickups?

Cheers

I'd look for a replacement bridge if I were you. They can be replated if taken to a shop that does plating. Any shop that can do small parts, like motorcycles, cars etc. You would have to get a quote to compare.

Hey, Welcome to the forum
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Look for another bridge.If re-plated you can run into coating thickness issues.Black paint does work tho'
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

OK, ta. I think a new bridge costs in the region of £175 here so I may think twice about getting the guitar I have seen.

WHat's the going rate for a bridge in the US?

Comment

They are cheap on E bay
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I guess the copies maybe cheap, but the Schaller ones look pricey.

I have seen a blacking kit. Anyone reckon this will work?

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.a...Blacking%20Kit

Comment

Have you got pictures of the ware?
              Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Perhaps just play the damn thing, and don't be so goddamn anal about a little bit of wear on the bridge?
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I agree with zeegler. Most of my Floyds are like that. the plating wears from adjusting the fine tuners

Comment

Lol, fair point.

Basically I am just trying to figure out if the guitar is worth the £400 asking price.

Here's the link:
                    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Early-90s-Jack...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Oh hell, that's not bad at all man. You just need to take it apart and clean it. Once it's clean and oiled up, the trem will look MUCH better.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

BTW those pickups are not active. they are passive. Any pickups labled Jackson or Charvel Are completely passive. However it does have an active preamp in it. IIRC those pups shold be a JS200. And A J80C. Awesome guitar. And i wouldnt worry about the discoloratio on the trem. Just clean it up and it will look and play great.
                        Gil

Comment

Well that's reassuring. I will go spend some money then.

Thanks for your feedback people

Comment

i rattle canned my chrome floyds black for years, works great .

Comment

Working...
                            X