Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Factory poly finish painted over with lacquer-how to remove lacquer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory poly finish painted over with lacquer-how to remove lacquer?

I've got a Peavey Wolfgang that started life as a gold top. The top has been refinished in silver sparkle like a Gretsch Silver Jet.
    All the original finish is under there.....the silver sparkle was just oversprayed in lacquer (well...I'm pretty sure its lacquer).

I'm looking to remove the sparkle finish from the top & get back to the original finish.

I did a test in one small spot with acetone based nail polish remover. That did soften up the oversprayed finish a little & didn't affect the factory finish at all.

So....is acetone the way to remove that silver sparkle finish?

I bet you no one wants to have a ruined guitar on their conscience. From my experience, acetone will melt certain plastics and definitely does short work on lacquer. I found that out the hard way when I was much younger.

Acetone can be used more or less safely on automotive urethanes. In some body shops, techs use acetone to remove the adhesives that attach common badges and nameplates found on cars. I've safely used acetone to remove such compounds without any damage to the underlying finish. Still, if left on for any significant length of time, I suppose it's possible that it might harm the clear, so work in small areas. ( There's my little disclaimer By the way, make sure it's ventilated where you work, unless you like that sort of thing. )

This would indicate that in your particular case, acetone is likely an efficient way to remove the top coat of lacquer. Still, the solvent will damage various plastics so make sure you strip it of all hardware, etc. Good luck, and go buy some pure acetone if you decide to do this.

Comment

Laquer is easily removed with laquer thinner as well, it is a reversable substrate meaning it's a 1K product or it has no hardener, and can be removed with itself at any time. as aron stated, be very careful around any type of plastic bindings or other soft surfaces, the laquer thinner will melt it for sure if you apply too much. work small areas at a time. After you remove it and the eurethane underneath has had a chance to breathe, you can buff the eurethane with any automotive wax.

Comment

Be careful not to remove any of the urethane clear coat on top of the gold. If you get below the clear with solvent or polishing you will be screwed. The solvent, or even light sanding will upset the metallic flakes in the gold color coat. If you do, you will have a true "relic" finish for sure.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by åron View Post
          I bet you no one wants to have a ruined guitar on their conscience. From my experience, acetone will melt certain plastics and definitely does short work on lacquer. I found that out the hard way when I was much younger.

Acetone can be used more or less safely on automotive urethanes. In some body shops, techs use acetone to remove the adhesives that attach common badges and nameplates found on cars. I've safely used acetone to remove such compounds without any damage to the underlying finish. Still, if left on for any significant length of time, I suppose it's possible that it might harm the clear, so work in small areas. ( There's my little disclaimer By the way, make sure it's ventilated where you work, unless you like that sort of thing. )

This would indicate that in your particular case, acetone is likely an efficient way to remove the top coat of lacquer. Still, the solvent will damage various plastics so make sure you strip it of all hardware, etc. Good luck, and go buy some pure acetone if you decide to do this.
          Did this and it worked well. Take the neck off though, as it can damage the finish on maple necks if it gets on there and sits. Be aware though is if he painted over any necks or scratches, it may not come out.

Comment

Working...
          X